Rear derailleur hanger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daisyj

Über Member
I have a Trek Marlin 2019 with this rear derailleur - Shimano Acera M3000, Shadow.

I want to buy a spare hanger in case of bumps/bends but can’t seem to find one. I’ve tried a Google search and looked at Wiggle. Does anybody know what would fit? Thank you.

Sharky

Guru

robgul

Legendary Member
The rear derailleur make/model is irrelevant - the hanger fits the dropout - either with one large hollow bolt or one/two small bolts - and the derailleur just bolts to a standard size threaded hole on the hanger.

There are literally hundreds of different shapes and no consistency - I run a bike shop and know this!

As it's a fairly recent bike a Trek dealer should be able to identify the correct hanger (or can get the info from Trek)

Wheels Manufacturing's website has a chart showing 340 different hangers - with a page for Trek showing 25! https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/manufacturers/trek.html?product_list_limit=all (You would need to get the LBS to order from Madison, the Wheels Mfg distributor)

Rob

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
The rear derailleur make/model is irrelevant - the hanger fits the dropout - either with one large hollow bolt or one/two small bolts - and the derailleur just bolts to a standard size threaded hole on the hanger.

There are literally hundreds of different shapes and no consistency - I run a bike shop and know this!

As it's a fairly recent bike a Trek dealer should be able to identify the correct hanger (or can get the info from Trek)

Wheels Manufacturing's website has a chart showing 340 different hangers - with a page for Trek showing 25! https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/manufacturers/trek.html?product_list_limit=all (You would need to get the LBS to order from Madison, the Wheels Mfg distributor)

Rob
Thanks, I understand why I was struggling to find it now. I’ll check out the link and ask my bike shop to order from Madison.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As @robgul implies, obtaining a spare hanger is best done through your LBS and any other route is fraught with risk. Anyone doing 'decent' mileage and for whom loss of a week's use of their bike would be an issue should obtain a spare. Sooner or later the hanger will bend - that's what it's there for: the weakest link. And once it's bent once, it's at a higher risk of bending and breaking, especially if bent back to avoid shifting problems through RD mis-alignment. (Does not apply to riders of steel :angel: (what's a hanger?)).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Indded, for steel you just bend things back, no need for hangers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As a footnote, the situation is even worse than you think - we had two Specialized Roubaixs, identical apart from the groupset and the gear range on the cassette. The bike with the bigger range of ratios actually had a longer derailleur hanger than the bike with the smaller range.

20140503_060602.jpg

U

User6179

If you buy a spare mech hanger then you guarantee one of two things, you either never need it or you will lose it ……...

Top Bottom