Rear Derailleur replacement Help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iroccopz28

Hello all, I am new here and it will probably seem obvious here in a min so please bear with me. My wife has an older Roadmaster Mt. Fury 15 speed. I am planning on replacing all the cables and breaks for and get things working a little smoother. I wanted to replace the rear derailleur because it's looking a little rusty. What I seem to be finding is that 15 speeds are basically obsolete and can't seem to find a replacement that is less than a 6-7 speed in the rear. I have been doing a lot of reading on the adjustments and how to videos and articles on the rear derailleurs but can't seem to find if I can make the 6 sped derailleur work with only 5 sprockets. I will likely be cleaning up the one she has but if there are issues with it in the future, I would like to know what my options are. She bought a newer 21 speed bike but says she likes this older one better and wants it fixed up to continue using (I will likely end up with the 21 speed). The last mountain bike I had was a 10 speed many years ago so I'm slowly trying to catch my brain up with the times. If anyone can help me out so, I'll know for a later date I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time...

Ajax Bay

Guru
What is the rear shifter and if they operate with clicks, how many clicks from one end to the other?
But very likely your great solution is to change the block (cogset at rear) for a 6 speed freewheel and change the shifter to a 6sp indexed. The rear derailleur itself is not the 'issue'.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom