Rear derailleur ripped off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
An attempted theft on my bikes was made and brute force was used to try and snap the locks. I thought only scratches and perhaps a broken back wheel, so I went out and it appears something was cracked as after a mile or two the rear derailleur ripped/fell off and into the back wheel.

I don't know if these pictures help, but my questions are 1) can it be fixed, or is there likely to be frame damage, and 2) what would we be looking at in costs? It's a 105 derailleur and aluminium frame. I have since broken the chain (10 speed) with a chain splitter so I probably broke that too.

I am going to take to LBS tomorrow, but I am just sat here wondering what the damage will be. I am quite deflated by all of this, it's a six week old bike now with major damage, almost tempted to throw in the towel.

Attachments

• IMG_20140630_190041629.jpg
    IMG_20140630_190041629.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20140630_190047164.jpg
    IMG_20140630_190047164.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20140630_190056183.jpg
    IMG_20140630_190056183.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20140630_190111542.jpg
    IMG_20140630_190111542.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20140630_190345930.jpg
    IMG_20140630_190345930.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 162
Don't mention the attempted theft to the LBS as it may have nothing to do with the hanger failing. Take it in and see if they can't replace the frame under warranty.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
[QUOTE 3156454, member: 30090"]Where was the bike locked up for such an attempt to be mad?[/QUOTE]

The mech looks fine from what I can see. It's just hanging by the gear cable now that I have removed the chain.

The bike was D-Locked to a large frame in my shed. Another bike was then cable locked to this bike on the other side of the frame. They took a metal bar and started twisting the cable lock over and over; when I got to it they had done this maybe 30 or more times as it was extremely tight, and had the effect of pulling both bikes into each other with a lot of force. I had to dismantle the bar in order to release the bikes I couldn't even twist it back it was so tight and I didn't want to do more damage The hybrid bike has some really deep scratches but the road bike appeared to have nothing more than the rear brakes hugging the wheel (which I managed to sort). I clearly didn't inspect it hard enough as something must have been broken either with the hanger or the mech.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks all.

Is replacement an easy job? Looks like it's just a case of undoing the existing broken hanger and fixing the new one? Where would I likely find the correct hanger in stock (2013 Felt Z85)? I'm more than happy to take to LBS but we're talking Saturday at the earliest, they don't repair weekends, and so it will be the Saturday after I can pick it up, and so if I can do it myself before then it's better.

Also when I split the chain the pin came all the way out (it's the first time I've done it:blush:) what would be a compatible replacement link, assuming I can't push the pin back in, for an FSA Team Issue 10 speed chain?

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
if you have an other half and they are a very understanding and tolerant one or you are by yourself then i would suggest keeping the bikes inside for a month or two if possible as now is when they will strike again to have a another go :sad:

if wheel is okay? and if mech is okay? then you just need a new hanger so as above

might make so very upset and so would it me but i would be happy they haven't managed to take it. by the sounds of it as they left their bar there and didn't get anything you caught them red handed or at least scared them off? did you see them?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
if you have an other half and they are a very understanding and tolerant one or you are by yourself then i would suggest keeping the bikes inside for a month or two if possible as now is when they will strike again to have a another go :sad:

if wheel is okay? and if mech is okay? then you just need a new hanger so as above

might make so very upset and so would it me but i would be happy they haven't managed to take it. by the sounds of it as they left their bar there and didn't get anything you caught them red handed or at least scared them off? did you see them?
Cheers Ed

They were scared off when we switched on a downstairs light and that's when we heard them begin to either really use brute force or begin a quick exit because they made a lot of noise at that point, but by the time we got out there they'd ran too far to catch up with. 4 males around late teens - a promising life ahead for them.

The bar was one already in the shed. They came equipped only with a knife I believe, as they tried to cut through the D Lock rather pathetically. Not the brightest of bike thieves, but they may come back better prepared. Bikes are no longer stored in there.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
Also when I split the chain the pin came all the way out (it's the first time I've done it:blush:) what would be a compatible replacement link, assuming I can't push the pin back in, for an FSA Team Issue 10 speed chain?

you wont be able to push the existing original pin back into the link

you need to find the correct ''quick-link'' for your chain
prob have to remove another pin so you end up with two rollers - through which goes the new quick-link

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Fitted a new hanger and chain link and put it all back together. Had to fiddle with the limit screws as the derailleur was rubbing the spokes on the biggest cog, but the shifting is pretty poor, although it's ridable at least. I might take to the LBS now I can ride it there, explain what I have done, and see if they can sort the gears out.

What I don't understand is why I have front derailleur rub, the front wasn't damaged or changed?

young Ed

Veteran
Fitted a new hanger and chain link and put it all back together. Had to fiddle with the limit screws as the derailleur was rubbing the spokes on the biggest cog, but the shifting is pretty poor, although it's ridable at least. I might take to the LBS now I can ride it there, explain what I have done, and see if they can sort the gears out.

What I don't understand is why I have front derailleur rub, the front wasn't damaged or changed?
monkeys might have hit the front with boot and bar or whatever by accident as they aren't going to be all too careful, could also be the rear mech is messing up the chain line so it isn't running dead straight and thus rubbing at front?

just be very careful as the one place you don't want your bikes stored is in the tea leaves shed!
Cheers Ed

Leaway2

Lycrist
Sorry to hear about your bad fortune, but hey! now you are bike mechanic (almost). Look on the bright side, you have learned a new skill which could save you a fortune and certainly time in the future. Remember Google (and Sheldon) is your friend.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Well I've ridden twice since I "repaired" it.

Today's shifting was much better (and in fact less front derailleur rub at either limit then I had before all this!), however I have a horrible feeling something is not right. The new hanger, once bolted in, appears to have a tendency not to be 90 degrees but bent inwards a little? I don't really know why, maybe it's an illusion. If it is an illusion then perhaps the derailleur is bent.

The symptoms are:
Small chain ring, 2nd to largest rear cog, there is a clicking coming from somewhere.
Large chain ring, down shifting between the 2nd to largest, 3rd to largest and 4th to largest often doesn't work: have to down shift twice then up shift.
Large chain ring, sometimes when up shifting the rear the chain doesn't stay in gear.

Top Bottom