Rear Ended Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Usually I can come up with some, (occasionally sensible) advice on most issues cyclists face, but I'm not persuaded there is much you can do to prevent slow(ish) shunts from behind in rush hour traffic.

Rearward observation can only do so much and even if you see a vehicle approaching at speed from behind, have you got anywhere to go (try to leave a few metres from the vehicle in front) and can you do it quickly enough to avoid being rear ended? What's more, a lot of vehicles stop, start, accelerate hard, stop - all of the time - can you really be expected to dive for cover every 200metres? On multi-lane junctions, you might find yourself having more problems if you keep squirting left or right.

Whilst there are things you can do to make yourself more visible, how much safer this actually makes you when trying to avoid being rear ended is less certain. Like you, I don't wear Hi-Viz jerseys/jackets, but I do have a v bright rear light cluster. I think this might help in a very small way, but as drivers don't see cars in front of them with 2/3 rear brake lights, efforts to increase conspicuity can only do so much.

I don't think a mirror is going to help much to be honest - it might give you some clues from a distance (when you only want to take your eyes off the road in front v briefly), which you could act on - but once again, I think it will only be of minimal benefit (this is from someone who thinks mirrors are underrated).

If you ride to the extreme left on the approach (and through) junctions you get more close passes and swipes (and lane splitting doubles the risk). If you adopt this strategy, you're just displacing the type of danger you face.

When I filter I try not be the last vehicle in the queue - and whilst it might irk some drivers when I squeeze into the gap in front of them, I at least know they've seen me (I look back) and I give them a thank you wave when I pull away.

jimboalee

I always go into primary, if a driver behind me cannot see my Dinotte 400R then they need a guide dog.

The most important word in this sentance is "if".

'if a driver behind me is too dozey to see my Dinotte 400R then' I get rear-ended.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The risk of being rear-ended in primary are far far lower than the other risks brought on by staying out of the way of motorists and cowering in the gutter. It's a game of playing the odds.

jeltz

Veteran
Not much you can do, road users run into the rear of other road users all the time. IMHO its not an issue of visibility or being on a bike its just people and their tendency to loose concentration or zone out. Even cyclists have been known to rear end a car, occasionally.

jimboalee

The risk of being rear-ended in primary are far far lower than the other risks brought on by staying out of the way of motorists and cowering in the gutter. It's a game of playing the odds.

Lets work this out.

Balance OP's four rear-end bumps in two years against my no rear-end bumps in forty years.

"the other risks brought on by staying out of the way" include ?

+1.

It was part of the reason I asked about the speed of previous rear-ends. In general they will be at slow speed, and you have some cushioning effect from a crumpling wheel. If, however, you get left hooked then there is nothing to cushion you from the wheels rolling over you.

I know which risk I am willing to accept.....

jimboalee

Lets work this out.

Balance OP's four rear-end bumps in two years against my no rear-end bumps in forty years.

Never getting the opportunity to count the flourecent lamps between the automatic doors and the Radiology Department.

Lets work this out.

I know you like your figures and numbers Jim. I can then assume that you understand simple statistics (you may indeed understand complex statistics). Therefore, I can also assume that you can understand the random nature of such events and how one person can have a lifetime without any rear-endings occurring, and someone can be unfortunate and be rear-ended on an almost regular basis, purely by random statistical chance. Add to that the difference in traffic that we deal with and your evidence for your technique being the reason for avoiding such incidents is very flimsy indeed.

I could of course add my own anecdote: cycling for over 5 years in heavy traffic without any rear-endings. That is despite my apparently risky approach to using the primary position at junctions and lights......

BSRU

A Human Being
The most important word in this sentance is "if".

'if a driver behind me is too dozey to see my Dinotte 400R then' I get rear-ended.

Much less chance of that happening than being squeezed in the gutter or left hooked if not in primary.
Primary is the most visible place to be at a junction, with or without lights.

Touch wood, I've only been rear ended once on the bike. I was waiting behind a van in the primary at a right turn light with a few cars behind me. After 1/2 a minute or so stopped at red I suddenly felt my self getting forced towards the back of the van. I turned round to shout and saw the woman driver rummaging in her glove compartment. The stupid idiot had let her car roll forward. Hopefully my riding position has deterred most folk but there's no accounting for some idiots.

jimboalee

I know you like your figures and numbers Jim. I can then assume that you understand simple statistics (you may indeed understand complex statistics). Therefore, I can also assume that you can understand the random nature of such events and how one person can have a lifetime without any rear-endings occurring, and someone can be unfortunate and be rear-ended on an almost regular basis, purely by random statistical chance. Add to that the difference in traffic that we deal with and your evidence for your technique being the reason for avoiding such incidents is very flimsy indeed.

I could of course add my own anecdote: cycling for over 5 years in heavy traffic without any rear-endings. That is despite my apparently risky approach to using the primary position at junctions and lights......

Two chaps waiting for a train.
One has been waiting for the same train each day for forty years. He waits by standing on the platform.
The other chap waits by standing on the rails just beyond the '4 Cars' stop sign.

Statistically, which one is most likely to be hit?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Straw man Jimbo. Cars are very likely to left hook you, squeeze you into the kerb, or you'll get nailed from the side by another vehicle crossing the junction from the side because you are not in the most noticeable position when cowering in the gutter.

jimboalee

Let me assist you to remember the last words of General John Sedgewick at the battle of Spotsylvania, 1864.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."

The late General made one incorrect assumption regarding the competence of the Confederate snipers just before the battle commenced.
Inversally similar to cyclists stopping in 'Primary' with a motorcar rolling toward them.

"Of course he'll see my rear lam..."

Yes I agree - I was hit from behind in the same manner and I settled it without insurance involved - cost the driver £28 but he moaned - yes MOANED that I had claimed any money at all and had the cheek to tell my husband he "hadn't hit me very hard"! I would never settle again with a twat like that! :sad:

Sorry to hear of your incident by the way and have no clues how to stop it - presume you are already high vissed up?

If someone said that to me about my wife i'd smile and respond "best not to hit a cyclist at all, its cheaper."

Top Bottom