Rear-ended

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
That bruise is almost gone, and with a new pair of mudguards, the bike is back on the road, so no serious harm done, it seems. Pretty scary, though.

When life is more like normal, tomorrow, I'll hassle the police a little more over this. Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know what (if anything) comes of it.

Of course, it's possible that the driver was a bit tiddly. Or on the phone. Or stoned. Or all three. Because the police wouldn't act, now we'll never know.

Only just seen this - glad you're ok. I'm absolutely appalled at the police's reaction, but not surprised, unfortunately. I've had substantially the same reaction after being assaulted twice by drivers. It seems that if you're on a bike, you deserve what you get, as far as the police are concerned.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Update

Phoned the police again yesterday, and got a rather different response.

This time the phone-answering person consented to put me through to the control room. Control room man decided it was worth recording and took all the details.

He also asked why I hadn't reported it at the time. I explained that I had tried, but had been politely fobbed off. He felt that, as an injury was involved, had he been answering the phone, he would have sent an officer to the scene. It emerged from some further discussion that this is a grey area. Is a large bruise and pain an "injury" or not? Some officers would send an officer, others would record details and trigger an investigation, others would do nothing.

Anyway, he explained that another officer would be in touch to take further details.

I called in at home for lunch and a traffic officer called in person while I was there. His take was that he would always send an officer to a car vs bike accident, injury or none - and he's worked in the control room. He clearly took the whole incident quite seriously and plans to "investigate". Reading between the lines of our conversation, I would guess that he knows there's nothing to investigate after this length of time, but an interview with the driver will do no harm, and now that it's a police matter, there's no chance of the driver claiming she's had no accidents in the last three years at renewal time.

Persistence pays off.

Maybe he means he'll investigate why you were fobbed off?
This is the first time I've seen this thread, so I am sorry you had this happen and am glad you are OK. How is Mrs Uncle Phil? Mustv'e been absolutely horrible for her seeing an accident involving her nearest and dearest unfold in front of her eyes and not being able to do a thing about it :becool: :laugh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thats good news. I'm still being fobbed off by the insurance company of the driver that hit me. I've mentioned on numerous occasions that i will take them to court if i get no response from them regarding the costs. i informed them yesterday that they have 7 days to get back to more or i will be taking them to a small claims court to recover my costs + the costs of going to court. Unfortuantly you can't do that with the coppers :becool:

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I forgot to say that. He clearly was unhappy about the fobbing-off bit, and will investigate that too.

Mrs Uncle Phil didn't see the actual collision, only heard it - she had passed at that point. She knew it was inevitable though, and that's why she shouted as she passed.

I think she heard me yelling something very rude at the passenger seconds afterwards, so the horror stage may have been short-lived!

Traffic officer took a statement from her as a witness too, so it will be hard for the driver to deny all knowledge, should she be tempted to try.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
I called in at home for lunch and a traffic officer called in person while I was there. His take was that he would always send an officer to a car vs bike accident, injury or none - and he's worked in the control room. He clearly took the whole incident quite seriously and plans to "investigate". Reading between the lines of our conversation, I would guess that he knows there's nothing to investigate after this length of time, but an interview with the driver will do no harm, and now that it's a police matter, there's no chance of the driver claiming she's had no accidents in the last three years at renewal time.

Persistence pays off.

That's my take too - sometimes it's not an impregnable wall of police bureaucracy that is the problem, but an unhelpful individual.

Well done for persevering.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Glad to hear that some sense of duty has been found by the boys in blue. At the very least it may make the driver more aware of her surroundings and responsibilities for the future. Even more pleased to read that your posterior regions are returnung to their former hues!

JsfWitney

A chap at work (in Oxford) was going over a toucan crossing on his bike when a motorist came over on the red light and knocked said chap off his bike, resulting in cuts and bruises. Police attended the incident and he was taken to hospital in an ambulance. Police contacted him a few days later to say they would not be taking any action against the driver. The victim to this dangerous driving is taking up personal injury claim with soliciter.

Police involvement does not really mean much

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
JsfWitney said:
Police involvement does not really mean much

I realise that, and I'm not expecting any real action from the police. But they will by now have visited and spoken to the driver, and hopefully this alone will be some sort of reality check for her.

That and the bill for her insurance renewal.

Top Bottom