Rear-ended

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
It should be investigated and they should check the phone records of the driver to see if she was on the phone when it happened. Sounds like you were lucky that you were not very badly injured.

Glad you are OK and hope you're bruises don't dampen your Christmas celebrations.

I think in this instance I would have called the police at the time of the accident and had them attend.
Usually they are not interested if no one is injured, but as you have clearly suffered an injury albeit a minor one they should take the details.
As for the young lady, she was clearly driving without due care and attention and the out come could have been far worse. IMHO it should certainly be of interest to the police.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Really sorry to hear this - same thing happened to me once and it is a real shock isn't it - one minute you are just on your bike and the next minute the bike is gone and you are going down on the tarmac - my arse also suffered one god almightly bruise!!!

Can't offer any advice but plenty of sympathy!!!!

(I didn't report mine by the way)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Glad to hear you're ok.

Unfortunately it's routine for the police to be uninterested unless you are pretty adamant about making an allegation of careless driving against the other driver.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Second time in a year - really bad luck Uncle Phil, and how is Mrs Phil having witnessed it? And the bike? Wishing you much better luck next year.

Brains

Legendary Member
Phil

My experience is that unless you ended up in an ambulance the police realy realy don't give a damn, even if the driver:
was pissed
blind in one eye
driving an unlicenced cab
drove off without stopping (only to be stopped by several other drivers 100m down the road)
had his keys removed by concerned members of the public

Now at that point you might just have thought the police might have given some consideration, however nothing was done, they never even turned up, but they did call to say he had to be given his keys back.
So you can still be picked up by a pissed one eyed unlicenced minicab, kill a cyclist on the way home an get off scot free.

(See my thread on this subject dated about 17 December last year)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Kaipaith said:
Potentially, but what I mean to ask is if the reason for reporting it to the Police was to include it in the National Statistics, wouldn't the incident already be recorded for that purpose through the insurance firms?

No, it wouldn't.
The police have to fill in a Stats 19 form, otherwise it doesn't get recorded.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Wow Uncle Phil, you do live dangerously! Bad at any time, but Christmas even worse. I am so glad you are ok, and I hope Mrs UP is getting over what must have been a horrendous shock.

Please go back to the police. Whoever you spoke to is out of order, and given you suffered an injury, it should be reported and the driver at least spoken to. If she gets off scot-free with this, then what sort of message does it send to her about her responsibilities to other road users at such an early time in her driving career?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

postman

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil a very large amount of cotton wool on it's way to you .
And take that magnet off your bike .It's attracting too many cars .

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bloody hell, Phil, only just seen this, you're having a right year aren't you? Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed, and gobsmacked that the police won't even record it. Too much bother on Christmas Eve perhaps?

I really am going to emigrate one day....

Top Bottom