Rear hub advice / Possibly Miche Primato Syntesi (but a sourcing issue!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

Heya!
Been using a rear wheel with Miche Primato Syntesi, and a Mavic OpenPro rim. Only had it built about 2000km ago, but the hub (which had more like 15000km on it) finally gave way. I ideally want to replace like for like to save on new spokes, but I can't find one of these rear hubs anywhere!

So a: Does anyone have a rear 32h Miche Primato Syntesi (In black, shimano) they would want to sell! Or know where I could find one?
or b: Are there other options that I should look at? Preferably the same size so as not to incur spoke costs. But if I have to buy new spokes, then I guess I'll have to.

Thanks!

classic33

Leg End Member

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Rebuild it. I recently did one for @nickyboy as the bearings had all gone south. There are 4 sealed cartridge bearings, I can give you the i.d numbers if you are interested, 2 for the hub and 2 for the freehub.

I could be tempted to give that a go, but I have no idea what I'm doing inside one of those. My mechanic skills are good for all the basic stuff, but I've never done anything more advanced than changing out pressfit BBs etc.

I also don't entirely know what is wrong with it. But it just spins around now without catching on anything. I suspect something about pawls?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Really simple. There are 3 pawls and the ratchet teeth are built into the hub body. Once the freehub us off the pawls are held to it by a thin wire ring that acts as retainer and spring for them. Probably just needs a clean out and light lubrication before reassembly. It is really something that should be done during servicing, maybe once a year or every other?
The bearing replacement is a bit more complicated. Hub ones are simple but the freehub ones are a bit more involved, with an internal circlip on the inner bearing.

GuyBoden

Guru
Really simple. There are 3 pawls and the ratchet teeth are built into the hub body. Once the freehub us off the pawls are held to it by a thin wire ring that acts as retainer and spring for them. Probably just needs a clean out and light lubrication before reassembly. It is really something that should be done during servicing, maybe once a year or every other?
The bearing replacement is a bit more complicated. Hub ones are simple but the freehub ones are a bit more involved, with an internal circlip on the inner bearing.

In my opinion, these Miche Syntesi hubs are a rubbish design, I keep on getting new pawls and a spring clip for the hub. I think the ratchet teeth built into the hub are now wearing, so the hubs will be in the bin very soon. :banghead:

GuyBoden

Guru
In my opinion, these Miche Syntesi hubs are a rubbish design, I keep on getting new pawls and a spring clip for the hub. I think the ratchet teeth built into the hub are now wearing, so the hubs will be in the bin very soon. :banghead:

I've just got yet another set of new pawls and spring, but this time the new pawl doesn't engage with the ratchet teeth in the hub consistantly, the teeth have worn in the hub body. The rubbish design Miche Primato Syntesi hub is going in the bin. :cry:
:cry::cry:

Edit: New Shimano wheelset arriving in the post at 3-4pm by DPD courier. ^_^^_^^_^

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I've just got yet another set of new pawls and spring, but this time the new pawl doesn't engage with the ratchet teeth in the hub consistantly, the teeth have worn in the hub body. The rubbish design Miche Primato Syntesi hub is going in the bin. :cry:
:cry::cry:

Edit: New Shimano wheelset arriving in the post at 3-4pm by DPD courier. ^_^^_^^_^

Which model. My r550 + rs10 have been faultless in 10 years riding.

GuyBoden

Guru
Which model. My r550 + rs10 have been faultless in 10 years riding.

It's not the 550 freehub body that is at fault, it's the small ratchet teeth inside the Syntesi hub that have failed.

I've just put new Shimano wheels on the bike, so I will either use Shimano or Hope hubs in the future.

yntesi-shimano-hubs-silver-pair-p28105-31518_image.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
The majority of Shimano freehubs have the same fitting. The ratchet teeth are part of the freehub not the main hub body. So, the design enables you to replace the pawl/ratchet system by replacing the freehub only.

Shimano freehub with internal pawl ratchet system shown in red.
242640-00-d-472767.jpg

Top Bottom