Rear hub/bearing issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..I have been learning how to service my own bike...but I still wear L plates! Anyway look my rear wheel is wobbling. It isnt the spokes, it is a little loose in the frame and when I listen to the bike closely it sounds rough and uneven when the wheel spins..I suspect wheel bearing issues...so I am going to try and fix it myself. BUT it occurred to me that this might be a good time to replace a crappy hub with a new one of better quality if that is necessary...make sense?? I have the same hub that the bike was supplied from new with. It has done several thousands of miles, many of which loaded up...canI just replace th eentire hub and have done with it, if so what shimano hub would represent a better (stronger) hub axle bearing set up?

...erm ...wot i am really asking is if you had thise bike (dawes galaxy) and groupset...tiagra deore...and you wanted a stronger longe rlasting rear axle/hub whatever...which could carry more weight...what would you do?

P.H

Über Member
Service the hub and upgrade when the rim wears out.
Shimano XT is as good as needed for touring. Though all the Shimano MTB hubs are strong, the extra money gets better bearings and better sealing. Going up the ranges from XT saves a bit of weight but not much else. If you want real bling, have a look at Royce or Chris King.

jags

Guru
i would stick a new set of bearings in (quarter inch) new waterproof grease ,wont cost to much ph is correct if the rim is ok then just put new bearings in.

Top Bottom