Rear Knee Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
over the last two weeks I have developed quite a lot stiffness and pain in the back of my knee. Not changed anything in bike fit or workload etc, however it has come on. Did 85 miles on Sunday and murdered my knee which now seems to be an issue. Not been on the bike all week. Seizing up, tender, painful etc. Much better if I keep using. There does not appear to be any swelling.

Doctor has prescribed Naproxen as anti-inflammatory and Codiene for the pain. BUPA think its a Bakers Cyst, however as said there is no swelling. BUPA have prescribed five sessions of physio. Both diagnoses were over the phone, nobody had physically seen it yet.

I will proceed with drugs and physio and see what happens. However, and this might sound crazy....I have a place in Sunday's Tour de Yorkshire Sportive and have been really looking forward to it and training towards it. 65 miles, 7000ft or more climbing etc. Would you ride the Sportive or miss out and rest it for fear of more damage?

I genuinely don't know what to do.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I assume you have not changed your saddle height (even inadvertently) recently?

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Not height, I did change saddle but compensated for slight height differences by lowering seat post, measured from centre of BB to Top of saddle. I thought the same initially but same dimensions as previous. Knees still central over the top of pedal axles too.

I can't explain the cause, beyond being 46 :sad:

davidphilips

Veteran
85 miles is a lot unless you have been building up to it,perhaps a good recovery time just some small runs and you will be back better than ever soon, just check with your doctor its ok before starting cycling again.

As milkfloat said about saddle height just recheck even a few millimeters can make a difference more so when on long runs like yours.

vickster

Legendary Member
Only you can decide on whether you ride the sportive

Can you see the Physio before? Try to find one who has expertise in treating cyclists.

These guys look knowledgeable and Bupa approved

http://www.backinactionltd.co.uk/about-us

Bakers cysts often caused by meniscus tears (at 46 you might not have done anything very much to cause it, can't imagine a few mm out of saddle height being the cause, possibly latent and aggravated by the long rides). See what the Physio says

Personally I wouldn't inflict further pain on myself doing the sportive but it's your choice...preferably based on the expert Physio who has actually examined you (rather than cyclists on the internet)

With the naproxen, only take with a meal and with the codeine, drink lots and eat fibre (constipating), obviously don't drive if you feel sleepy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

As ever, thanks guys and girls. I am seeing a pro Rugby League physio apparently, Therasport. Hopefully this week. 60-90 miles is pretty normal, plus commute every day etc.

I will have to make a call then. I might try the Turbo tonight for a test. Fingers crossed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Call the physio, make the appointment

Does he cycle?

Ref the bike, change the saddle back and see if that's better

Ice and heat the knee, see if that helps as well as the drugs

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Ok, so I managed to get to the physio this afternoon, fantastic lady.
Essentially it is a Bakers Cyst, or fluid gathering on the back of the knee. The pain comes from bending / straightening the knee (squashes fluid against tissue). Full massage of calf, hamstring and knee to displace fluid and loosen connecting muscles, heath treatment, Tubigrip compress to restrict fluid from gathering , ice and my drugs. Initial five BUPA physio sessions then go from there.

Her advice?
"You're not going to seriously damage anything by riding, dose up and wear the tubigrip. Suffer the pain, complete the ride and we will fix you next week".
Result!! Trial ride tomorrow to test it, then fingers crossed for TDY! I'll make my decision Saturday night.

Interestingly she says Bakers Cysts just happen. Doesn't have to be reason, just latent then flares up. It may happen again, but may not.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Call the physio, make the appointment

Does he cycle?

Ref the bike, change the saddle back and see if that's better

Ice and heat the knee, see if that helps as well as the drugs

Yes SHE cycles and runs. She also said stick with the ice packs, just not direct to the skin. Good advice Vickster!

vickster

Legendary Member
Good stuff and well done to the Bupa diagnosis call :smile: I had the same process to follow with my foot.
Nuffield physio confirmed the plantar fasciitis, although was pretty sure what it was already, just had to go through the Bupa hoop before being able to actually see someone, seems to another new layer of their sometimes intensely frustrating bureaucracy)!

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Took the bike out this afternoon to test the strapped and drugged knee...
I would put my chances of riding TdY on Sunday at 50/50 :sad:

Top Bottom