Rear light - Flashing or constant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The downside, apart from the price, is that it's a bit heavy and bulky. If you're fitting to a bracket on the frame or rack, that's fine, but if you want to clip it to a bag or something you might have an issue. Mine went flying off once, as I had it secured just with the clip onto a rack bag.

It would be on the seat post

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I have a the Cateye 1100 and liked the mode selection (btw hold the buttons down for like 2sec and it turns off from any mode rather than cycling through both sets of modes), the downside with it was it wasnt as bright as the cheaper Smart R2 type lights and because of its size it doesnt fit anywhere but the seatpost which my bag uses, when attached to the bag it wouldnt be angled correctly so would be pointing too far up or down.
Instead I have 2 Smart R2s, one on either seat stay and then a mount/clip for the cateye on the seatpost and bag but i tend not to use all 3. Spokelits in each wheel do a really good job of drawing attention too.

On trails/shared paths i sometimes just put the smarts on low solid, then on roads i tend to use full flashing or "disco" mode if im in that kind of mood. Im still inclined to get some fibreflares for excessive lighting.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can recommend the RSP Astrum. Binned my Smart Superflashes as they let in 'moisture' which stops them working. Had 1 Astrum a few years and only because the bracket broke (failed bodge) did I not use it. Just picked up 2 new Astrums for about £22 the pair. These are backups to my magicshines though

My main-flashing is an RSP 1-watt which is a blinder and gret for use all year round.
On dark nights/mornings I also have a flashing in the mesh pocket of my backpack cover, and a third constant on the back of my helmet - both Smart.
I also use two Cree 230 lumin front lights, one fixed on the bars and one flashing on the helmet (from DX)
Lit up like a freakin' Christmas tree

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I picked up a small led rubber light (similar to zogs??) that stays flashing on the back vents of my helmet, I have one on te seat post on winter on constant and on on the seat stay on flashing, its got 2 small LEDs and a large one that alternate flashing. Cant be missed really

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Riding out on country lanes at night I can't stress as others have already said, how important having more than one rear light is. I tend to supplement them with reflective arm bands with flashing red leds.

I have the CatEye TL-LD1100, which I like because you can have solid and flashing in one unit.
\

Looks like a good rear light, something I need for this weekend, but can you still buy them as Cateye have them listed as an 'archived' product.

As to the OP, I like having at least two rear lights, one flashing, usually attached to me (camelbak or helmet) and one, on steady, attached to the bike.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Some time ago someone on here recommended putting silicone grease around bike light seals, I bought a tube for a couple of quid off amazon and all my lights have survived various downpours, being left outside pubs in rain and even snow. One of the best tips ive read, not only saves your lights especially if theyre being sprayed by the back wheel, but makes your lights more reliable :smile:

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
In traffic I normally use a minimum of 2 Smart 1/2 Watt Superflashes, 1 steady and the other(s) flashing.

If riding in a group at night, however, I just use a couple of cheap LEDs, both in steady mode. Although the Superflash is great for getting you noticed by motorists, other cyclists following you for miles find them a real pain in the eyes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks like a good rear light, something I need for this weekend, but can you still buy them as Cateye have them listed as an 'archived' product.

As to the OP, I like having at least two rear lights, one flashing, usually attached to me (camelbak or helmet) and one, on steady, attached to the bike.

Most retailers have stock.
Chain Reaction
Hargroves
Evans
Amazon
etc

GrasB

Veteran
Thereby making motorists less confident at close passes ?
By the point they get to passing you if they still need the rear light as a guide you're in serious problems as a cyclist! However from a long distance off it allows other people to accurately gauge your position & speed on the road so they don't go flying into the back of you at 40mph!

I use a BS6102/3 compliant flashing light as this makes my cycles legal

It is then backed up by a pair of these Dinotte lights:

dinotte2.png

I have no problem being seen

Top Bottom