Rear Light for Luggage Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petenats

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear light to fix to a tubus luggage rack. I've got both 50mm and 80mm centre spaced fixing holes on it.

I've already got a cheapo LED (zefal) attached to the seatpost but would like something to fix further back for when I load the top of the rack and obstruct the seatpost light.

Cheers

Pete

Llama

Veteran
i use one of these with a smart super flash - been fine and only £1.49

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29392

it fits my rack so assume will fit tubus - i cable tied it to the rack rather than using the small bolts supplied

OP
OP
P

petenats

Thanks everyone....food for thought!

I hadn't thought about just buying a bracket and also thanks for warning me away from the B&M....£35 did seem a bit steep!!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Llama said:
also the mars 4 comes with a free rack mount

Unfortunately you have to sacrifice the ability to mount to a seatpost to use it. If you need to mount to a seatpost as well (for use on another bike)., you'll need to buy a Mars 1.0/4.0 mounting kit.

marooncat

simon_adams_uk said:
There's an international standard for rear light mounting points on racks (who would have thought it!). Most manufacturers make a special bracket such as this one by Cateye http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_Rear_Carrier_Mounting/5360032017/ so you should have a pretty wide choice - their TL-LD130 has served me well so far.

S

This is what I have as well...I have just cable tied mine to the rack and it is fine

Rear reflector built in-

http://www.electricbikeshed.co.uk/shop/lighting/infini-apollo.html

I bought one last year (much cheaper than this though) from Chain Reaction (but they don't seem to be doing them at the moment.

Way better than the expensive fall-apart Busch and Muller piece of junk that it replaced.

I got that one when they were £3 from chain reaction, I didn't think it would be up to much and needed the reflector anyway. But it is bright, i use it on flash and looking behind you can see street signs being lit up by it some distance away. Plus it's fixed you never have to take it off....just changing batteries means using a screw driver. :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
simon_adams_uk said:
There's an international standard for rear light mounting points on racks (who would have thought it!). Most manufacturers make a special bracket such as this one by Cateye http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_Rear_Carrier_Mounting/5360032017/ so you should have a pretty wide choice - their TL-LD130 has served me well so far.

S

Well if there is, it hasn't reached Blackburn yet, for their racks have no rear bracket/mount for rear lights. Then the racks are crap anyway.

I've attached a Smart 3 LED kidney light to the rear of my EX-2 rack by using the smaller diameter ring clamp that Smart provides, rather than the larger seat post diameter clamp, turned through 90 degs, so the clamp goes around the horizontal top rear tubes, as there are two together, which means the light is vertical. Had to use the rubber spacing strips Smart supply. Unfortunately this is the only orientation I can see in which it can be attached. It's ok.

Bodgeit!

Buy a Minoura SpaceGrip..... and disassemble it.

Attach the metal "U bracket" to the rack and then fit the working end of the Spacegrip to the "U bracket" in the normal way (you may need to file the tabs). The bar can be horizontal or vertical and allows the fitting of any "seatpost" fitting light. This is the same bodge on the front fork of my Thorn:

Fuji2008_0503001.jpg
[/IMG]

I have also aded a woodworking "T plate" on one of my Tubes racks with a Cateye light fixing it in place and then mounting the Spacegrip on the "T plate":

rear.jpg

Top Bottom