Rear Lights - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just started back cycling today after an absence of about a month due to illness.
I remember seeing a link on here for a rear light composed of 2x1/2watt leds, which takes 2xAA batteries, comes with a pannier rack fitting kit and if memory serves was around £10-12. Have looked for the link but can't find it.

Can anyone help please?

BSRU

A Human Being
Raleigh, RSP Astrum, I think you mean.

bauldbairn

I think "Smart" have a new two 1/2 Watt LED rear light - last spotted on CRC website(chainreactioncycles).

Smart Lunar R2 - 2x1/2Watt LED
56550.jpg £19.99 + £1.50 for rack bracket.

Smart Polaris - 1x1/2Watt LED + two small japanese LEDS
42479.jpg £7.50 + £1.50 for rack bracket - both free postage.

I don't think these are what you're looking for - but are alternatives??? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Think the light did look like an Astrum - but I'm pretty sure it had a horizontal mount that fit into the standard 2 holes on a pannier rack rather than a seat post mount which is all I've seen so far. Have two smart 1/2 watts fitted already. One to the seat post and another by a very convoluted mechanism to the rack. The latter has potential to come off if I hot a big anough pothole and does angle up slightly so if I could get something that was designed to fit it would improve things. Plus I'd then have 1.5 watts on the rear and not just the 1w I currently have.

BSRU

A Human Being
I use 10mm p-clips with rubber inserts for mounting my Smarts to my rack.
I just screwed the Astrum mount into the rack plate to have it horizontal instead of vertical, it does have the problem of accessing the batteries but as yet I have not had to change them.

Davidc

Guru
The Smart Lunar R1 uses a 1w LED. It's £13 to £14.

I've got one and it's very good and bright.

Also has a more chunky seal than the older 1/2w LED versions, although I've never had a water problem with those.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Both the Smart ones above run on AAA (as IIRC does the Astrum)

This Raleigh one is 2 x AA though (description on that site is incorrect) and includes the mountings for a rear rack as well as seat post and seat stay.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PPpete is right. Mine has gone 'wonky' - i.e. it's stuck in the flash pattern I use, but won't switch to any other. I'll be sending it back shortly for a replacement, as it's actually quite good though.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Both the Smart ones above run on AAA (as IIRC does the Astrum)

This Raleigh one is 2 x AA though (description on that site is incorrect) and includes the mountings for a rear rack as well as seat post and seat stay.

I have this light it is superb, maybe a bit bigger/heavier than others but it ain't half bright for very little cash. I have had 3 rear lights and this is the best by quite a bit.

Top Bottom