Rear lights on helmets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Got to say more about the drivers than the cyclist. I've still had drivers pull out on me, but to be honest, I reckon most of them see me but underestimate my speed and pull out anyway. The last guy actually made me laugh as he desperately tried to ignore me as I overtook him again.
They can look but not see as @Tim Hall suggested.

Shaun

Founder
As per @Slick's post, the Lumos helmet has a red rear triangle embedded - a chap passes me daily with one of these going day / night / all seasons: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lumos-Kickstart-Helmet-Charcoal-Black/dp/B01N273KZT

71APFl-fR%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

I doubt a rear bike light randomly attached to your helmet would work very well though - you're likely to run the risk of dazzling drivers if the angles are wrong (or as you are moving your head to look around).

If your rear light(s) aren't well positioned to be seen from a good distance, think about fitting an extender to your seatpost to move the position using something like this:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Bar-X-Tender_4995.htm

4995-47317_1_Supersize.jpg

I have a similar one on my commuter to bring the light out from under the saddle and raise it above the arc of the rear mudguard. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
As per @Slick's post, the Lumos helmet has a red rear triangle embedded - a chap passes me daily with one of these going day / night / all seasons: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lumos-Kickstart-Helmet-Charcoal-Black/dp/B01N273KZT

View attachment 381031

I doubt a rear bike light randomly attached to your helmet would work very well though - you're likely to run the risk of dazzling drivers if the angles are wrong (or as you are moving your head to look around).

If your rear light(s) aren't well positioned to be seen from a good distance, think about fitting an extender to your seatpost to move the position using something like this:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Bar-X-Tender_4995.htm

View attachment 381032

I have a similar one on my commuter to bring the light out from under the saddle and raise it above the arc of the rear mudguard. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:
How steady is the extender in use. I removed a similar one from the front because it seemed to "bounce" whilst in use.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just one steady red light is enough. Please stop littering yourself with lights. You are not safer.
The current trend for more lights is just telling the car user the wrong story. "Look out, driver! I'm really special! You need to pay loads of attention to me and whatever you do don't knock me into the hedge! Beware! I'm a cyclist!"
All the flashery and ultra-white bulbery just annoys the car-user, makes him unsure how to take in all the info, and makes him more likely to make a bad decision and run you into the hedge. And meanwhile, cyclists dress up more and more like some hi-vis freak show circus act, looking less and less part of the flow and more and more "special".
We need to reverse this nonsense before it gets out of hand and just follow the Highway Code's suggestions.
Plenty of evidence from around the world that less lighting is better. Try cycling in Japan, where there are narrow city roads littered with telegraph poles and other obstacles. After dark, most bikes only have a red reflector on the back, even if the law requires a small red light. Car users know how to share the road with the cyclists, and accidents are remarkably few.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just one steady red light is enough. Please stop littering yourself with lights. You are not safer.
The current trend for more lights is just telling the car user the wrong story. "Look out, driver! I'm really special! You need to pay loads of attention to me and whatever you do don't knock me into the hedge! Beware! I'm a cyclist!"
All the flashery and ultra-white bulbery just annoys the car-user, makes him unsure how to take in all the info, and makes him more likely to make a bad decision and run you into the hedge. And meanwhile, cyclists dress up more and more like some hi-vis freak show circus act, looking less and less part of the flow and more and more "special".
We need to reverse this nonsense before it gets out of hand and just follow the Highway Code's suggestions.
Plenty of evidence from around the world that less lighting is better. Try cycling in Japan, where there are narrow city roads littered with telegraph poles and other obstacles. After dark, most bikes only have a red reflector on the back, even if the law requires a small red light. Car users know how to share the road with the cyclists, and accidents are remarkably few.
In Japan you have to prove that you have somewhere to park a car before a permit is issued allowing you to buy one.

And at present the law is tilted against the cyclist not making themselves visible to drivers. "Make yourself visible" works only if the drivers actually see you and realise that you're on a bike. If being lit up like a christmas tree annoys them, at least I know they then can't turn round and say "they never saw me". They can either have the onus put firmly back in their laps for failing to see cyclists or they can say we should make ourselves more visible. They can't have it both ways, no matter how much they shout.

If they, as drivers, cannot take in the information in real time whilst driving, should they be driving?

Backed up by the Highway Code
Section 59 of the Highway Code explains the appropriate clothing cyclists should wear in order to make it easier for other road users to spot them and help to keep them protected in the case of a collision.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've noticed (when sitting in a car), that in a stream of heavy traffic you can notice/pick out a cyclist ahead earlier when they have a helmet light on to the rear. Also noted that if it was too bright and badly adjusted that you avoid looking that direction. I don't tend to cycle much at night and rarely in that heavy traffic so I don't have one myself.

Look at the cyclists locally that you see and what makes some of them stand out more than others in the conditions you ride in.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
What's the legal requirement re rear lights ?

I know there was confusion a few years back.
Is it still a static red , rather than flashers ?

I stand to be corrected but I believe you can have just a flashing red light on your bike now. Previously you could in ADDITION to an approved rear light or the flasher had to be in your person or bag. I could be wrong about this though.

Slick

Guru
not seen those before
I think they are good. The odd driver still appears to try his best to pretend not to see you but I think it seems to happen less. The first 20 minutes of my commute is unlit country roads, and I feel even oncoming drivers are now more prone to dipping their headlights as they usually are for "Just a Cyclist".

Slick

Guru
I've seen one 'in the wild'. Most of the lighting was redundant at the rider was on the drops.
Yeah, that could be an issue for some, there is one section on my commute as I come out the country lanes and into town that is downhill and I do go on the drops, but it's no more than 5 minutes probably a bit less of a 60 minute ride. If you spend your entire commute attacking hills and on the drops this one might not be for you. I have it adjusted to give me what I feel is best visibility in relation to my riding position.

Top Bottom