Rear lights on helmets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If there is one thing that I have learnt by being on here is that you will never get everyone to agree on lights, helmets or vis vests. For that reason, the best thing to do is please yourself and do what you want.
What I would say is that it is wise to have at least 2 rear lights on at the same time. You cannot see when one goes out. Hopefully, both of them failing at the same time would be unusual.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its not that drivers don't see you.

Its that they either don't look, or don't care.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not exactly sure what I look lime to other drivers but I'm lit up lime a Christmas tree so as long as your lights are steady and not dazzling I think the more the better. I always tell my mates, if anyone hits me they are going down for it as there is no way they could argue they couldn't see me. :thumbsup:
Yeah, they'll just argue that all your lights confused them. :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5020653, member: 9609"]you would love me, bright colour during the day, hi-viz vest after dark and THREE rear flashers, two on the bike one sewn into my wooly hat. I reckon they can spot me from half a mile back, even an avid texter will have looked up 6 times before they goe for the overtake[/QUOTE]

But there's a difference between looking and actually seeing.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I run 2 rear lights having had the experience of riding three miles on an unlit fast country road to find my back light had fallen to bits. Of course I was visible to drivers but not from so far away. Having some reflective bands around the ankles also makes you stand out well in lights.

Lidl do a helmet which has a built-in LED taking 2 CR2025 batteries which you can get in a Poundshop. They're not mega bright but they do stand out in the dark.

My front wheel has a set of Monkeylights which are brilliant fun and eye-catching for side visibility when on a roundabout, for example.

At the end of the day if the feckless idiots don't look properly then no amount of lighting is going to make them see you. There comes a point where it takes too long affixing everything to the bike & turning it on.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I clip a second light onto my rear jacket pocket as a backup. It is a bit higher than the seatpost mounted one and I don't worry it wont be seen which I think would be more of an issue if on the helmet and I was on the drops.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You'll see within a minute, when you next look back, as long as you've not put it somewhere silly like under the saddle. It's wiser to have one good light than two shoot ones.
I wouldn't notice (I know from experience... I'm happier using two lights.) I'm looking back down the road, not down at the back of the bike.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Followed a chap only last night with one and thought how noticeable it looked.

I've got a very bright Knog Blinder V on my seat post, but it points down slightly and is partially obscured by the seat pack so have always been wary of visibility.

Think I'll get one, do you just cable tie them to the helmet?

Depending on your helmet - you can fit a Knog Frog on your helmet

Chris S

Legendary Member
If you've got a rear mudguard then paint a white patch on the back. It really stands out in the dark.
These are my bikes, the white patches are much more noticable in reallity than in the photograph.

PICT0175.jpg

Reactions: mjr

Sixmile

Veteran
I rode through last winter using a flashing see sense, which adapts to flash quicker and brighter when it senses headlights, I wore this attached to the rear of my helmet. I then had a Fibre Flare on constant on one of the downstays on the rear. Both lights emit light more than 180 degrees. I've upgraded my overshoes this year and went for Sealskin Halo with the little constant led heel in both shoes. Four lights to some may be overkill but it also gives a range of lighting options and cover if one isn't charged or fails along the way (which hasn't happened!)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you've got a rear mudguard then paint a white patch on the back. It really stands out in the dark.
These are my bikes, the white patches are much more noticable in reallity than in the photograph.
Way back in 1953 this matter was debated in parliament. From Hansard
LORD LEWELLIN: The comparatively small areas of white surface involved now appear, after experiment, not to give any effective extra safeguard, and I am told that the technical advisers of the Ministry have come to the conclusion that that is an unnecessary provision. If it gives a false sense pf security, it is better repealed rather than that people should be put to the trouble of painting these surfaces white when, in effect, they do no good.

This was the repeal of the something or other act that required white patches on mudguards. Very useful in the blackout.
poster-blackout-bike-jpg.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
A special circle of hell should be reserved for people walking and cycling with lights on their heads, misleadingly showing red to the front or white to the rear when they turn their head. Please at least use amber lights or something.

It's not very often someone cycling turns their head 180 degrees for any length of time so rear facing shouldn't cause any confusion.

Top Bottom