Rear lights on helmets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

I used to use a low power rear light on my helmet but it doesn't really add anything imo, I now have a few very small pieces of red reflective tape there to to reflect back a few dots of light which can conceivably aid in judging distance.

Stuff like this tape is very versatile and can be used in extremely small pieces so as not to make you look ridiculous but still provide a good passive source of light when headlamps are hitting them.

A bit off topic now, but what I feel is useful is one of these mounted on the front using one of these and a rubber shimmy. On low, it is easily dim enough to use in an urban environment without dazzling and can be briefly pointed towards risks like vehicles waiting to turn, whilst in rural unlit areas you can use it on high to see with so long as you avoid pointing it at anyone.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bit of a problem when the vehicle behind is less than 10 seconds behind you. Then they've to actually slow or stop.
Where's the problem? If the lights can be seen from 30 seconds away, they've had 20 seconds where they could see you and should have already decided on an appropriate course of action, such as slowing to wait for a safe chance to overtake.

Back in the days when I had dynamos the front light would get brighter if I pedaled harder.
The regulators must be much better now then, as the system reaches maximum brightness at about walking speed.

ozboz

Guru
Where's the problem? If the lights can be seen from 30 seconds away, they've had 20 seconds where they could see you and should have already decided on an appropriate course of action, such as slowing to wait for a safe chance to overtake.

The regulators must be much better now then, as the system reaches maximum brightness at about walking speed.

@Mugshot got that right !
Had one on an old bike years ago ,
I actually had an Austin A 35 van that was the same , as a raced 0 to 60 mph in 10 mins the lights got well better. !!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If you've got a rear mudguard then paint a white patch on the back. It really stands out in the dark.
These are my bikes, the white patches are much more noticable in reallity than in the photograph.

View attachment 381047

In much the same way that dry hyaena poo appears to glow in the dark. Used to mark territory. Seriously.

Well for other hyaenas. But only the ones with torches.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I suppose you can add me to the handful of those that do.

y8iQYtvaPWNGFP9Wv1iZRPAx3QdG7fYWsHYjuT4D_T95I-wjbau0erc0A8hFeXMatikCuXwtUsLIIGDqg=w2258-h1270-no.jpg

FKVha7uHCX_83_BohzlT6kRwuh8vezUhDTDpDgFY_arYLTolBmB3ZHa8DLE5zVtCC6gP6h8NZTfWHYbtpA=w715-h1270-no.jpg

CajqvnfYOSM6tbT2FD8Bg-Nk0Y5xz8j0kYPbVxjPcykg9qrs0m9b0gqfycXY-qF_jNxQ_p4ftYOxUPBILg=w715-h1270-no.jpg

I tend to finish work just as the evening rush hour starts to die off and around that time there seems to be more HGVs passing through my part of the city with cabs so high my hand would probably just about touch the rim of their windscreen if i reached up from my bike so it helps to be seen above the rest of the traffic etc etc etc.

Other than the odd cyclist giving me a slight bump from behind when i stop at a set of lights, I havent been rear-ended by car yet so I must be doing something right. Though with how blind some drivers can be whilst on the road maybe they dont even notice me at all.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I find the lack of red reflected light a dead giveaway but maybe it's less obvious for townies. On the dynamo-lit bike, the headlight gets brighter if the tail light goes out, which is also a hint.
As I said I'm not looking down behind me.... and I aim not to blind motorists by pointing it very high. The two light option means even if you notice the other light has gone out that you have a light on and you can have one flashing and one constant if you want.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
[QUOTE 5021262, member: 259"]Wow, that's a thing of rare hideousness![/QUOTE]

Yeah, and now it's one of your Amazon "Recommendations for you"! :eek:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As I said I'm not looking down behind me.... and I aim not to blind motorists by pointing it very high. The two light option means even if you notice the other light has gone out that you have a light on and you can have one flashing and one constant if you want.
The glow's not that high or blinding, but it is noticeable, especially if there are any road signs. Two shoot lights are still shoot and they might both fail. As you may remember, I dislike flashing lights because I don't often want to give motorists that much notice it's only a bloody cyclist ahead of them.

Mine clip on & off for USB recharging & theft prevention.
I've heard of one bolted-on light getting damaged (not thieved) in 20 years and that was probably someone being careless when parking next to it. Bolted-on bike lights get nicked about as much as car lights - very very rarely.

As for charging, just take the battery pack indoors. It's mostly pathetically low capacity batteries that are built-in, isn't it?

In a human's field of perception (and I include drivers in this) 'high up' is perceived as far away and 'low down' is perceived as closer to. We tend to scan an area between the horizon and the ground in front of us - (the area described by the beam of a car's headlights) so it's entirely possible that, to a beseated driver, a helmet light appears above the horizon and therefore outside of this envelope. Retailers know that an awful lot of the stuff on their shelves is seen less because it's outside of this zone. Obviously a very low rear lamp is easily obscured in traffic conditions - so they work best in combination with a second seat post mounted lamp.

If what you're trying to achieve is to communicate: 'CYCLIST!!' to other road users - my favourite attention grabbing method is to use squares of reflective tape stuck to the rim between the spokes and covering just 50% of the rim. You create an eyecatching stroby three-dimensional moving image which helps them to easily establish your speed, location and your direction of travel. At the point they need to plan to overtake you the reflective whooshes are at their brightest. This stuff is widely and cheaply available these days from ebay and Halfroads (car dept) - and best of all it uses the power of the approaching car's own lights, activates as soon as you appear in their beam and it works from (almost) 360 degrees.

If you really want them to notice you - get some wheel lights. The easiest is just to attach a rear light to the centre of your rear hub. But other dedicated sets are available. Monkey Lights are crazy good but cost fortunes. Avoid the cheaper Chinese ebay junk.

The trick is to make them sit up and take notice - and you can only do this by painting a picture of a cyclist that they haven't seen.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
This has been a really interesting read and thank you all on the diverse opinions you have shared with me and amongst yourself,s. As I've already got this light and that it fits well on my helmet I think I will use it for the dark evenings. I know some of you will disagree and I fully respect your views, but I suppose where all different and I personally think a helmet rear light is right for me.
Whatever you feel about this have yourselves a good night and stay safe out there whilst on your bikes,,
Johnny :-) :-)

Top Bottom