Rear lights on helmets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5025777, member: 9609"]as a car in front gets further away the lights appear closer together - I was taking the logic of the post you were answering a bit further.

anyway, flashing lights should identify a cyclist as a cyclist - i hope.[/QUOTE]
I'm not being obtuse, but I honestly can't see the correlation in a real life scenario, even after reading NickNick post.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not being obtuse, but I honestly can't see the correlation in a real life scenario, even after reading NickNick post.
Two street lights, viewed from 100 yards will appear further apart than when viewed at four - five times the distance.

The distance between them hasn't changed, but the distance between you and them has.

Slick

Guru
Two street lights, viewed from 100 yards will appear further apart than when viewed at four - five times the distance.

The distance between them hasn't changed, but the distance between you and them has.
To be honest, I get the theory, I just don't get how any driver is going to confuse the difference.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
As a driver myself I think the thing that catches my attention at night are something that's out of place on the road. Things that you don't expect to see or uninformed. Most car lights are are symmetrical ,and although you notice them and take heed of there presence they generally look all the same. On a bike though,a cyclist is much more vulnerable in the event of a collision ,and think lights that can grab a motorist attention by being unusually positioned makes a driver look twice by wondering what's going on ahead. Flashing lights that are not synchronised , coloured lights on wheels that are popular with children and dare I say it helmet lights. As a rider naturally turns his head checking the road ahead, a rear helmet light will fluctuate in intensity, From a distance, I as a driver will see a bright light one second then a faint light ,as well as looking unusual in proportion to the steady seat post light. It immediately grabs my attention and will the focus my attention on the cyclist. With all things said though, if everybody were to light there bike up like Christmas trees, and use unusual lights in cycle heavy areas like London they would not stand out anymore. Out here in the country though were cyclists are less common at night I think it would be affective. When cars first started using high level third brake lights they stood out a mile compared to the older cars without them. Nowadays though virtually all cars have them, and they don't generally grab you now like they once did. Only the expensive cars with their crazy futuristic led designs grab my undivine attention by they unusual appearance.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm not being funny or anything, but have you seen how far off the ground some of these trucks have lights? You don't see many drivers going in to the back of them.

The ones I recall seeing do not go from bumper level to the top of the lorry with nothing in between, but rather are in sequence with others. Also, as I recall, the lights are in parallel with those on the opposite near/opposite side. Both of which I would imagine, although I am not an ocular expert, would allow the brain to "fill in the gaps", as it were.

IME high level lights are difficult to judge. For example, by cycling a mile or so I can see the Winter Hill transmitter, At night, with its illuminated mast, it looks a couple of miles away. It is in fact many more than that.

As a driver myself I think the thing that catches my attention at night are something that's out of place on the road. Things that you don't expect to see or uninformed. Most car lights are are symmetrical ,and although you notice them and take heed of there presence they generally look all the same. On a bike though,a cyclist is much more vulnerable in the event of a collision ,and think lights that can grab a motorist attention by being unusually positioned makes a driver look twice by wondering what's going on ahead. Flashing lights that are not synchronised , coloured lights on wheels that are popular with children and dare I say it helmet lights. As a rider naturally turns his head checking the road ahead, a rear helmet light will fluctuate in intensity, From a distance, I as a driver will see a bright light one second then a faint light ,as well as looking unusual in proportion to the steady seat post light. It immediately grabs my attention and will the focus my attention on the cyclist. With all things said though, if everybody were to light there bike up like Christmas trees, and use unusual lights in cycle heavy areas like London they would not stand out anymore. Out here in the country though were cyclists are less common at night I think it would be affective. When cars first started using high level third brake lights they stood out a mile compared to the older cars without them. Nowadays though virtually all cars have them, and they don't generally grab you now like they once did. Only the expensive cars with their crazy futuristic led designs grab my undivine attention by they unusual appearance.

I may be mistaken, but I thought this came from Scandinavia. I don't think the purpose is to grab your attention, but to allow you to see the car in front of the car in front of you braking. The time, from a split to few seconds, might save you from rear ending the car immediately in front of you.

snorri

Legendary Member
lights that can grab a motorist attention by being unusually positioned makes a driver look twice by wondering what's going on ahead.
Yes,I agree and whilst the driver is distracted and irritated by your amazing light array, he fails to spot me with my legal lights and crashes into me.
Could it be that you wish to be engaged in the lighting equivalent of an arms race?

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5026191, member: 9609"]I don't think my joke has been widely understood, I'll get my coat :sad: - it made me laugh though ^_^[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, as long as you laughed. :laugh:

Sorry I missed it. Lol

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Who says they did pull out? I'm not asking you to wear them.... it's for you to look on the road and see for yourself which things help you to identify a cyclist better/sooner. I've felt I've noticed the reflective material therefore I'm happy to wear it.

Because you talk about reflectives being good for side visibility. But it will only reflect back at them once you are caught in their headlights. Which means you are passing the junction they are at. So if they are only seeing you as you pass the junction. It is too late to stop their manuever as they did not see you approaching along the primary road despite your high viz and lights. They are not going to react in time when you appear in their lights only a few feet in front of them.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well they are not. A reasonably static worker in the road wearing reflectives is not the same need as a correctly lit up cyclist moving quickly along the road. So one does not lead to the other and vice versa.
Often moving onto the road via parked traffic. Both are still people, and in the case of "a reasonably static worker", they'll be the one to come off worse.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5026378, member: 9609"]here is a direct comparison, if you don't think one is more visible than the other then fair enough, but this little experiment has convinced me.
View attachment 381631 [/QUOTE]
Why's it convinced you? Would you really run one of them over?

Isn't this "more visible" misleading ploy the equivalent of using hitting oneself on the head with a hammer to promote a certain other so-called safety measure that doesn't reduce casualties significantly?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Often moving onto the road via parked traffic. Both are still people, and in the case of "a reasonably static worker", they'll be the one to come off worse.

But they do not wear lights do they? Not comparable to a bike heading in the direction of the road, clearly visible from a long way via their lights.

Top Bottom