Rear lights on helmets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Persuade the police not to pass it to the CPS, persuade the CPS not to pursue it, persuade a jury not to convict, persuade your insurer or your bereaved family to settle, ... oh and I'm not saying it'll succeed often. Just that they'll try.
How would you manage that one?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5021978, member: 9609"]...hopefully the hiviz and reflective tape would distinguish me from an empty coal sack blowing about, and hopefully there would be less chance of being drove over[/QUOTE]

I have a colleague who uses that logic to wear all his lighting on his head & body, rather than on the bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
[QUOTE 5021978, member: 9609"]the reflective tape greatly increases the area lit up, so hopefully more noticeable. It gives definition and makes it clearer earlier that it is a human being (I would hope that would help but may be not), and if all my lights were to fail without me knowing then I am still sort of lit up to cars and trucks that may pass me.

And also, and I was just thinking this the night as I was going along unlit roads with a near useless front light that does not highlight large stones ot pot holes; If i was to come off and left lying on the road away from my bike and its lights, hopefully the hiviz and reflective tape would distinguish me from an empty coal sack blowing about, and hopefully there would be less chance of being drove over.[/QUOTE]

It would be better if you had a decent front light mounted correctly on the bike rather than relying on teflected light. After all, all orher vehicles rely on their lights. I rely cannot see that hiviz adds anything over good effective lights correctly mounted on your bike.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I have an Abus Hyban+ Helmet with a rear light on it, a light on my Altura Night Vision jacket and 2 COB LED lights; one steady one flashing on the seatpost.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It would be better if you had a decent front light mounted correctly on the bike rather than relying on teflected light. After all, all orher vehicles rely on their lights. I rely cannot see that hiviz adds anything over good effective lights correctly mounted on your bike.
Reflective material is good when lit by headlights, and so can add to your visibility from the side. Some lights really only project light in a narrow beam, and none to the side.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Reflective material is good when lit by headlights, and so can add to your visibility from the side. Some lights really only project light in a narrow beam, and none to the side.

But surely if they are pulling out as you pass it is too late as they did not see you from the front and have already entered your road space?

classic33

Leg End Member
But surely if they are pulling out as you pass it is too late as they did not see you from the front and have already entered your road space?
One reason it's required by law for people working on/near the roads, sometimes in poor light, is down to the reflective material in use.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Who says they did pull out? I'm not asking you to wear them.... it's for you to look on the road and see for yourself which things help you to identify a cyclist better/sooner. I've felt I've noticed the reflective material therefore I'm happy to wear it.

Will Spin

Über Member
Regarding helmet lights; When I was working I spent several years commuting by car about 35 miles each way on mainly single carriageway country roads, which were mostly unlit. Once or twice I was momentarily confused by a cyclist's helmet mounted rear light, the reason for this is that the light appears higher in the windscreen and at about the same level as a car's light would appear if that car was much further down the road. So initial reaction is- not cyclist but car or motorbike much further away than the cyclist.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The OP gives context.
I'm thinking of upping the Aunty with another rear light.. . . . Would you agree or differ that a rear light on a helmet is a good safe guard to use in conjunction with my seat post mounted light.
Once or twice I was momentarily confused by a cyclist's helmet mounted rear light,
Didn't the (hopefully higher power and maybe flashing) red light that you could also see immediately below the helmet mounted red light make that a fleeting moment of confusion. Or are you saying this as a concern for those who think a helmet light alone is rear lighting enough?

Will Spin

Über Member
The OP gives context.

Didn't the (hopefully higher power and maybe flashing) red light that you could also see immediately below the helmet mounted red light make that a fleeting moment of confusion. Or are you saying this as a concern for those who think a helmet light alone is rear lighting enough?
On each occasion the cyclist only had the helmet light and I that the helmet mounted rear light is not enough and that it should be used along with another lower mounted light. The same confusion could occur with a helmet mounted front light as I think motorists will be expecting a light to be mounted lower down.

Slick

Guru
Regarding helmet lights; When I was working I spent several years commuting by car about 35 miles each way on mainly single carriageway country roads, which were mostly unlit. Once or twice I was momentarily confused by a cyclist's helmet mounted rear light, the reason for this is that the light appears higher in the windscreen and at about the same level as a car's light would appear if that car was much further down the road. So initial reaction is- not cyclist but car or motorbike much further away than the cyclist.

I'm not being funny or anything, but have you seen how far off the ground some of these trucks have lights? You don't see many drivers going in to the back of them.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5025738, member: 9609"]Hmmm - I have two lights side by side on my bike, an inch apart, may be someone might think I'm a distant car and accelerate to catch it up.[/QUOTE]

I'm not following. (Pardon the pun)

Top Bottom