Rear lights on helmets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
Its only me again and hope you've all had a good day.
This coming winter I'm determined to try and continue to cycle in the dark evenings after work. There's nothing worse than coming home to an empty house and just sitting there all night vegetating in front of the tv. Cycling has been great this summer and its a shame for it to simply end because the dark nights have arrived. The one though that puts me off about night time rides ,is the fear of not being seen by motorists. I'm not concerned about what goes one in front as I feel I have some control if a situation arises. Its more of a fear of will the car behind see me , especially on some fast A roads that I use from time to time. Tonight was a good example when a bus made a close pass scaring me witless. I feel that my lights are plenty bright enough and very noticeable but after tonight,s little scare I'm thinking of upping the Aunty with another rear light.I would be quite happy to dress my bike in an array of christmas light if it were to ease my paranoia of not being seen, but we all know this is not really the right way forward. Looking in my box of bike spares I've dug out a moon comet rear light and it fits rather nicely to my helmet. Would you agree or differ that a rear light on a helmet is a good safe guard to use in conjunction with my seat post mounted light.
All the very best,
Johnny :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
Lights on the head could give a false indication of your direction of travel.

You look behind you and the red light no longer faces the rear.

Higher up can equate to closer to, but not guaranteed.

Slick

Guru
Hi to all.
Its only me again and hope you've all had a good day.
This coming winter I'm determined to try and continue to cycle in the dark evenings after work. There's nothing worse than coming home to an empty house and just sitting there all night vegetating in front of the tv. Cycling has been great this summer and its a shame for it to simply end because the dark nights have arrived. The one though that puts me off about night time rides ,is the fear of not being seen by motorists. I'm not concerned about what goes one in front as I feel I have some control if a situation arises. Its more of a fear of will the car behind see me , especially on some fast A roads that I use from time to time. Tonight was a good example when a bus made a close pass scaring me witless. I feel that my lights are plenty bright enough and very noticeable but after tonight,s little scare I'm thinking of upping the Aunty with another rear light.I would be quite happy to dress my bike in an array of christmas light if it were to ease my paranoia of not being seen, but we all know this is not really the right way forward. Looking in my box of bike spares I've dug out a moon comet rear light and it fits rather nicely to my helmet. Would you agree or differ that a rear light on a helmet is a good safe guard to use in conjunction with my seat post mounted light.
All the very best,
Johnny :-)
I'm not exactly sure what I look lime to other drivers but I'm lit up lime a Christmas tree so as long as your lights are steady and not dazzling I think the more the better. I always tell my mates, if anyone hits me they are going down for it as there is no way they could argue they couldn't see me. :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

If the driver isn't looking or doesn't give a stuff, the number or brightness of lights doesn't have much effect. I was riding home from a festive lunch a couple of years back, my bike decorated with tinsel and a string of flashing lights. I was literally lit up like a Christmas Tree and still got close passes.

Oh,and it's"up the ante" (raise the stakes) rather than "up the Aunty", which sounds a bit to Freudian to be healthy.

pjd57

Veteran
What's the legal requirement re rear lights ?

I know there was confusion a few years back.
Is it still a static red , rather than flashers ?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all your posts and views. Early start tomorrow 4am urggg so I catch up on this tomorrow if any more words of wisdom have been spoken.
Have a good night all.
:-)

Slick

Guru
That looks neat. Thanks for the link buddy.
It certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. I think I made up my mind to try it one morning as I signalled on a roundabout for as long as i could before going back on the bars to steady the ship. A woman looked right at me and still pulled out in front of me. I don't expect it will put an invisible shield round me but it will give me a better chance.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not exactly sure what I look lime to other drivers but I'm lit up lime a Christmas tree so as long as your lights are steady and not dazzling I think the more the better. I always tell my mates, if anyone hits me they are going down for it as there is no way they could argue they couldn't see me. :thumbsup:
I got one of these from my neighbour, horse rider & instructor.
5170ocXu+FL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

I'll be honest and say that it didn't make any real difference. Drivers still said they couldn't see me.

Best thing I had that I know was seen was a simple lightstick. The sort that you snap before use. Hung on the draw cord of the rucksack. The erratic movement was what caught the eye.

classic33

Leg End Member
What's the legal requirement re rear lights ?

I know there was confusion a few years back.
Is it still a static red , rather than flashers ?
The confusion is still there. You can use flashing lights if they meet a standard for a non-flashing light.

It applies to lights fitted to the bike, not the rider.

Slick

Guru
I got one of these from my neighbour, horse rider & instructor.
View attachment 381026
I'll be honest and say that it didn't make any real difference. Drivers still said they couldn't see me.

Best thing I had that I know was seen was a simple lightstick. The sort that you snap before use. Hung on the draw cord of the rucksack. The erratic movement was what caught the eye.
Got to say more about the drivers than the cyclist. I've still had drivers pull out on me, but to be honest, I reckon most of them see me but underestimate my speed and pull out anyway. The last guy actually made me laugh as he desperately tried to ignore me as I overtook him again.

Top Bottom