Rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glyno

another vote for Exposure Lights TraceR

Just received some lights I bought in the sale at PlanetX
2 cheap rechargeable lights for only £2.49 each - plus some other bits like a really great sounding bell for the local canal paths!
Really bright lights - look good!

problems - the front one seems fine - plugged in to charge - red light came on then turned green after a while
rear light showed an amber light - which was still amber after several hours
Did a Live Chat with Planetx - who said they would just send me another one just in case

Great service - I will be looking there again

Cateye lights are unreliable shoot with a range of incompatible shoot mounts but that may just be my experience.
Am afraid I don't understand this - I have pretty much standardised on cateye for "be seen" lights precisely because in my experience the mounts are standardised - seem to have been for years and so I hope will continue to be. You can even get a rack fitting which uses the standard mount. And clips for clothing/panniers/bumbags/seatpacks. I generally avoid lights from other folks no matter how cheap they are or how far they claim to burn through steel plate as I then have a light which can only be used on one bike. May as well nail the thing on.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Am afraid I don't understand this - I have pretty much standardised on cateye for "be seen" lights precisely because in my experience the mounts are standardised - seem to have been for years and so I hope will continue to be.
I am old enough that I have seen three versions of the Cateye front mount and two of the back. I think the last front version was H34 or so but I don't know whether it is the number or the letter that increases!

All except the oldest version of the front mount rely on bending plastic far enough that it is not sustainable and will snap in cold Norfolk winters sooner rather than later. If they have not changed design for years, I would expect them to do it again, to try to get another load of replacement sales.

So there is that and then the UK gets cheap second-class torch versions of lights sold in Germany with better lenses (compare Volt and GVolt for recent examples but maybe there is a new range now) and a stream(!) of poorly-waterproofed lights and I gave up on them about 15 years ago.

I may accuse Lezyne of being style over practicality but at least they have style!

Midsrider

Hi all,

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add to this.

I am after a rear light for a pannier bike rack. I was going to stick a basic reflector on, and had a light on the mudguard - but decided more lights is better.

I do not ride at dark much - but before the snow kicked in I was out a few times on my new bike and came back when it was going dark. I was ridding down lit pathways and borrowed my sons spare £5 ! Halfords light. This made me seen - but thought what If i got caught out on a road or where there was no lights.

So my thoughts are - from peoples reviews a lot recommend battery still for longer battery life and I will go for a USB one too, so best of both worlds !!!

REAR LIGHTS - I was thinking battery for the rack and USB for post, or do you think get both USB and have 2 the same. They seem to be a much better/modern design too.
1 =
Light for back of rack, main reason : Not the best of looking lights!!!! - but has a whopping 60hrs flashing!!!! and I can keep some spare batteries in my bag.
https://www.cateyecycling.co.uk/pro...ghts-c11/cateye-tl-ld610-5-led-rear-light-p52

2 = Light for back of seat post, this will also be a Cateye light, so if the one on rack breaks or i do run out of battery, I can slip this on on there.
https://www.cateyecycling.co.uk/pro...e-rapid-mini-usb-rechargeable-rear-light-p102

FRONT LIGHTS - I did look at the Cateye ones, but my son has 200 lumen Halfords light on his and the indicator showing the battery life is a great addition - so will get the next model up.
1 =
Front of bike on handle bars.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...vanced-500-lumen-front-bike-light-253318.html
2= Back up - the cost is not too bad on the above light, so I might get another one, or get the 200 lumen version.

These look like great lights I think and should do me fine.

I know there are loads of better ones out there - but for my riding, this should do me

Midsrider

Hi ya,

Thanks for the reply - yeah they do loads of different mounts - that was just a link to the light. I would get from Amazon i guess on this link.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-CA475RAPMIN-Lights-Reflectors-Cycling/dp/B07SYHR29Z/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=cateye&qid=1611606922&sr=8-8&th=1

I like the Cateye orbs, really handy for intermittent overhanging trees, or shade, as they’re easy to flick on and off as necessary. I like having the pair on, one flashing, one steady, and they’re always with me.
I try to have at least 1 light front and rear even during day rides, as with winter direct sun, it’s peace of mind for me.

Midsrider

I like the Cateye orbs, really handy for intermittent overhanging trees, or shade, as they’re easy to flick on and off as necessary. I like having the pair on, one flashing, one steady, and they’re always with me.
I try to have at least 1 light front and rear even during day rides, as with winter direct sun, it’s peace of mind for me.

Yeah they look like great little lights.
The price is good too - these flashing on the back of a bike will be great for day rides as you said.
My eldest son who is 13 has just bought a Trek Marlin 5 from his own money and he has 3 cheap lights at the back of his bike - has 2 at the sides flashing and the middle one on.

Too many options ! But looks like Cateye do some great lights.

I have 4 on the rear, thus plenty of 'built-in redundancy' if a battery flattens on one
I have 3 of their '50 Lumen' now (was 2, plus their '25 lumen'), plus an older (10 years??) Smart)

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...halfords-50-lumen-rear-bike-light-253294.html

Previously it was just 2 of the 'Smarts'
View attachment 570129

This is the 'smart', 1 x '25', & 2 x '50'
View attachment 570130

'smart' & 3 x '50'
Sorry, not the best view, but that was at 14:30 yesterday

View attachment 570131

A better picture

WIfes Boardman has 2 of the same cable-tied to the pannier rack

Top Bottom