Rear mech barrel adjuster cross threaded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hi,

I was adjusting my rear gears on my 4 week old bike, and it seems that the bike shop cross threaded the barrel adjuster in the Tiagra deraileur. I have ordered a couple of spare barrel adjusters from CRC, but I just wanted to ask, is it likely be be the barrel adjuster that is knackered or the thread in the deraileur?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Hard to say, but I'd suggest that when you get the new barrel adjuster you start by screwing it into the derailleur thread from the "wrong" end (if possible). Then you stand a reasonable chance that the adjuster will clean up the female thread, in which case you can then take it out and carefully assemble it correctly.

shadow master

Hi,

I was adjusting my rear gears on my 4 week old bike, and it seems that the bike shop cross threaded the barrel adjuster in the Tiagra deraileur. I have ordered a couple of spare barrel adjusters from CRC, but I just wanted to ask, is it likely be be the barrel adjuster that is knackered or the thread in the deraileur?
The adjusters steel and the bodies alloy,I'm afraid it could be the mech,you could just wind it down and use inline adjusters further up the bike to tune up gears,assuming you have some

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Thanks for the quick replies.

I have just been having another look, and I tried screwing the adjuster screw in from the other end. First I had to remove a stop washer, and I greased up the adjuster screw and screwed it in from the wrong end. It took a bit of turning, with the aid of some pliers, but I got it through. I tried it from the right end, and lo and behold, it's worked.

So thanks to DaveReading, I have fixed the issue.

As to my spare barrel adjusters on their way from CRC? These will be for the spares box I think.

Sharky

Guru
Snap

Only Sunday night, was putting a brand new xenon rear mech on and managed to sheer the head of the adjuster off, leaving the rest still in the thread and can't get it out!

Waiting for another new one to arrive and then I'll have a go at fixing the bust one or keep it for spares.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Four week old bike, take it back and get them to fix it.
It was ordered online from about 200 miles away, and delivered in a box. But it's ok, I have fixed it now.

Top Bottom