Rear pockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does every item of bike-wear need rear pockets?
Do you use the rear pockets of windproofs and waterproofs.
When you have multiple layers on, you do use rear pockets of inner layers?

I always use a bag when I ride, so rear pockets are of little use. In summer, with a race jersey, I use the rear pocket for issues and a map and gloves when off the bike. I can't think of any use for small zippered rear pockets. High chest pockets are much more useful for me, for storing gloves, hat, keys, wallet.
I would love to see more pocket options for outer wear. I think designers are a bit lazy and automatically put rear pockets on all bikewear, as a badge of bike-usage.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Front pockets were once the norm on cycling jerseys. Indeed, the first one I owned (Donated by a club mate as it had out of date colours) had such a feature. I never used them as it made the jersey feel uncomfortable.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Mainly I keep my spare layer/waterproof/buff in there so I have some flexibility in clothing if the weather changes. But the main reason I buy cycling jerseys with rear pockets is 'cos they always have them! I always like to wear cycling-specific jerseys because, being quite tall, normal cut shirts always ride up and expose my lower back (and possibly worse).

I do like jerseys with breast pocket for a small credit card wallet, and a couple of notes.

I try to keep hard/lumpy things like phone and keys along with my tools in a bag (handlebar or saddle wedge). Mainly for comfort but I've also read that there's a chance they could cause injury if I fell off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I find that stuff in front pockets gets in the way, especially when I'm down on the drops.

Mind you, the only time Mrs Gti ever called me on my £2.99 cycling phone, my cycling buddy and I though the sound was farm machinery somewhere behind us and ignored it. I've changed the ringtone to the William Patel Overture at full volume now.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't bear having anything even slightly hard or sharp next to my lower back (big scar after surgery) so I only ever rarely use rear pockets, maybe for a pack of tissues, and certainly not with much stuff. Everything goes on the bike

Steady

Über Member
After I've been out riding, I'm constantly trying to put my items into the back pockets of normal clothes.

I only use the "top" layer pockets, so it is useful that everything has rear pockets above base layers, including a jacket.

adscrim

Veteran
I've changed the ringtone to the William Patel Overture at full volume now.

That sounds interesting. Some kind of Bangra remix?

I use and like rear pockets and always have them in the same order. Food on the right, pump and a Lezyne caddy sack with tools and my phone in the centre and rain jacket/gilet on the left. Tube, patch kit and leavers are in a small posterier man satchel (saddle bag).

nappadang

Über Member
If it's raining, I tend to wear a pocketless thermal or wickable Base Layer under a waterproof with a back pockets.
Otherwise, I try to wear only one layer. A good warm soft-shell in winter or a jersey suitable for prevailing conditions. All of these have back pockets.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Strong plastic bag with phone, Oyster pouch containing money & cards, keys goes in the right rear pocket.
Mini pump and zip up bag with 2x tubes, levers, multi tool, patches, cart & inflator goes in the middle rear pocket.
Cereal bar for emergencies goes in left rear pocket.

Nowt goes on the bike these days, except a bottle. Commuting I carry it all in the backpack. The above config is for weekend / leisure-pleasure rides :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
Only thing in my back pockets is my phone, everything else is stored in my carradice saddle bag.

Top Bottom