Rear Road Bike Wheel For £100 ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Ok, decided to replace my rear wheel on my Caad-8

I have £100, I want something a little sporty a little "bling" but also strong, I just weighed my rucksack and that comes in at about 3 stone
wacko.gif
when fully loaded, so the wheel will need to hold upto 17 stone, for around 30 miles a day on some pretty rough roads, What do you suggest ?

Mavic Open Pro on Tiagra Hubs ?

EDIT:

This any good ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fulcrum-racin...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e607c177a
Gaz

mark barker

I just weighed my rucksack and that comes in at about 3 stone
wacko.gif
when fully loaded, so the wheel will need to hold upto 17 stone, for around 30 miles a day on some pretty rough roads, What do you suggest ?
Take some stuff out of the bag! Aren't you tempted to get some panniers (no idea if they'd fit on your bike!), won't make the bike any lighter, but surely would be more comfortable?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
SPA cycles did me a 36 Spoke Rigida DPX rim (deep and rigid) on Tiagra hubs. £133 for front and rear. They used Sapim Race spokes - Double butted.

I worked out that if I was to buy all the parts separately and build myself, I'd save £6 and my build will be nowhere near a guys who's done it day in day out for years.

PS - I'm 17 stone without the panniers and rucksack.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Someone suggested

Mavic Aksiums ?

I like Spa cycles, but want something a little "bling" ish too, to get with the Cannondale Style

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
3 stones, thats a hell of a packed lunch Gaz!!!

Are you just going to change the back wheel or front and back so that they match? Also, what wheels are fitted now (rims, hubs and number of spokes) I know some wheels have only 20 or 24 spokes to keep weight down while I consider that to be suitable for racing use only. Personally as a 14-15 stone guy myself I consider 32 spokes the minimum and if I have the optiion I go for 36 spokes for the MTB and this has always worked well for me. I was a bit dissapointed to find my recently aquired hybrid only had 32 spoked wheels despite all adverts and GT's own website claiming 36 but I let it go as a small issue not worth complaining about.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Gaz, at that price bracket I'd be loathe to try and go bling, the Spa cycles builds are solid and reliable and you can choose the rim on most builds. They do a 105 rear for £115, it's not just what is on their website either. If you want something slightly different give them a call, they'll mix and match with what they have in stock for you and do a deal.

Someone suggested

Mavic Aksiums ?

I like Spa cycles, but want something a little "bling" ish too, to get with the Cannondale Style

Mavic Askiums are bomb proof IME and great vfm wheels IMO but the only problem (which I never experienced touch wood despite having folk crash into the rear of me :blush:) is getting hold of a replacement flat spoke. A couple of years ago I was on a bike Holiday in Sardinia, one of my fellow riders snapped one on his first day. He borrowed a wheel till he could get a replacement spoke. A week later he still had the borrowed wheel; there hadn't been any flat spokes on the island.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Mavic Askiums are bomb proof IME and great vfm wheels IMO but the only problem (which I never experienced touch wood despite having folk crash into the rear of me :blush:) is getting hold of a replacement flat spoke. A couple of years ago I was on a bike Holiday in Sardinia, one of my fellow riders snapped one on his first day. He borrowed a wheel till he could get a replacement spoke. A week later he still had the borrowed wheel; there hadn't been any flat spokes on the island.

No Bomb Proof then :biggrin:

I'd be worried with just 24 spokes TBH

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz, at that price bracket I'd be loathe to try and go bling, the Spa cycles builds are solid and reliable and you can choose the rim on most builds. They do a 105 rear for £115, it's not just what is on their website either. If you want something slightly different give them a call, they'll mix and match with what they have in stock for you and do a deal.

Im not sure, what Rims Spa do that are not touring ones ? my friend has a Sputkic (SP) set and im 99.9% sure they are far too wide to fit my CAAD -8 ???

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Im not sure, what Rims Spa do that are not touring ones ? my friend has a Sputkic (SP) set and im 99.9% sure they are far too wide to fit my CAAD -8 ???

Sputnik are the heavey duty, 622-19 rims, I have a set, in between there's the Snyper which is 622-17 and, for your purposes, you'd be looking at the Chrisna. That's their roadie one at 622-13, 18-25mm tyres and very sturdy at 590g, it gets some very good recommendations but I haven't got any wheels that skinny.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Sputnik are the heavey duty, 622-19 rims, I have a set, in between there's the Snyper which is 622-17 and, for your purposes, you'd be looking at the Chrisna. That's their roadie one at 622-13, 18-25mm tyres and very sturdy at 590g, it gets some very good recommendations but I haven't got any wheels that skinny.

Forgive me, but I cant find them, did you mean Chrina ?

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s176p1787

PpPete

Legendary Member
Parker offer a Hand Built Open Pro on 105 hub, DT Swiss Comp spokes. (32 or 36 spokes) for £105

I built my own from those same components - 36 spokes.

So 36 spokes are not "bling" ? - I dont care... and nor do my wheels, even when I take them touring off-road ! They are not slow wheels either.

Tiagra takes it down to £87. Also excellent value. Wife has those.

I've also built a few on those Rigida rims which I'm sure used to be called Chrina - but the website now calls Chrisna.
Slightly heavier rim, but a lot cheaper than Open Pros. A friend of mine (of very substantial girth and poundage) used one of those quite happily on an E2E last year.

If I wanted to use a road bike like the Caad for both commuting and weekend races/TTs/Sportives I'd have two sets of wheels: A hand-built set of 36 spokers for commuting and whatever 24 spoke factory-built bling I could afford for the sportier stuff.

Top Bottom