rear wheel alignment issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi all,

When I take my rear wheel out and then go to put it back in more often than not I find the disc rotor is not then centred as it was between the pads. Its pretty straight forward getting the wheel back on but I cant understand why i have to keep altering the brake pads to compensate for simply taking the wheel out.

Am i doing something wrong here ??.

Any help much appreciated.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Hi all,

When I take my rear wheel out and then go to put it back in more often than not I find the disc rotor is not then centred as it was between the pads. Its pretty straight forward getting the wheel back on but I cant understand why i have to keep altering the brake pads to compensate for simply taking the wheel out.

Am i doing something wrong here ??.

Any help much appreciated.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
I did think that and I do keep trying when it happens but its a hell of alot of messing about for taking the wheel out I cant seem to get the nack for getting it back as it came out sort of thing.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
I did think that and I do keep trying when it happens but its a hell of alot of messing about for taking the wheel out I cant seem to get the nack for getting it back as it came out sort of thing.

Armegatron

lukesdad said:
Different tension on the Q/R? pulling the wheel across.

Had a similar problem and this I think was the cause. I read up on a "90 degree rule" for the quick release tension and since then I have found that the consistent tension has solved the problem.

badboy, it might be worth doing a similar technique to get some consistent way of putting the wheel in each time at the same tightness on the QR.

Armegatron

lukesdad said:
Different tension on the Q/R? pulling the wheel across.

Had a similar problem and this I think was the cause. I read up on a "90 degree rule" for the quick release tension and since then I have found that the consistent tension has solved the problem.

badboy, it might be worth doing a similar technique to get some consistent way of putting the wheel in each time at the same tightness on the QR.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
mike.pembo said:

Thats sounds logical Mike do you have any more information on this 90 degree rule.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
mike.pembo said:

Thats sounds logical Mike do you have any more information on this 90 degree rule.

Armegatron

bad boy said:

Cant remember where I seen it, but I remember it being to do with some article on disc brakes and loose QR's causing wheels to fall out :blush:

Basicly the rule is to tighten the QR until the "flappy" part that you push down to tighten becomes tight when its at 90 degrees to the wheel (ie pointing away from the wheel), then when its tight just press firmly until its paralel with the forks.

_ = wheel
| = "flappy part"
* = "bolty part"

__|__

Flappy part should become resistive to being pushed down when the bolt is tightened and "flappy" is at 90* to wheel.

(Apologies for the poor technical terminology - Im still learning :blush:)

Armegatron

bad boy said:

Cant remember where I seen it, but I remember it being to do with some article on disc brakes and loose QR's causing wheels to fall out :biggrin:

Basicly the rule is to tighten the QR until the "flappy" part that you push down to tighten becomes tight when its at 90 degrees to the wheel (ie pointing away from the wheel), then when its tight just press firmly until its paralel with the forks.

_ = wheel
| = "flappy part"
* = "bolty part"

__|__

Flappy part should become resistive to being pushed down when the bolt is tightened and "flappy" is at 90* to wheel.

(Apologies for the poor technical terminology - Im still learning ;))

Top Bottom