Rear wheel disc cover

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by dairic, 29 May 2019.

Tags:
  1. dairic

dairic Well-Known Member

Has anyone got experience of a rear wheel disc cover/ jacket, not sure what they’re called?

my 88mm wheel has broke and thinking of one of these for an Ironman coming up, can’t afford a new wheel yet , been looking second hand, so thinking along this line temporarily!

cheers

2. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

I've got one on my 100mm TT wheel. A bit fiddly to fit and it doesn't stay flat in places unless stuck down. However I do think it makes the wheel a bit lighter.

3. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Lighter?

4. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Lighter than a full disc.

5. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Aha! Thanks.

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

The point with a disc is the rotational affect can help with flatter routes. Too much faff with a clip on, and not convinced they work.

7. huwsparky

huwsparky Über Member

Why wouldn't it work? As far as physics is concerned it'll be just as effective as a disk, it serves exactly the same purpose.

8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

They don't fit very well, nor have they been through a wind tunnel (e.g. fit/poor airflow, air going behind disc) . They are an early 90's thing !

9. I used one (a cover) a few years back it was a bit noisy but seemed to be a good middle ground before I had a disc. I had a bespoke one from Raltech and the fit wasn't bad although I had to disable the jockeys from using the 25t that was a bit close.

10. huwsparky

huwsparky Über Member

Maybe you should change that to the ones you've come across don't fit very well! I can't actually imagine someone being stupid enough to fit a disk cover and not make sure that it blocks the wind from getting in :laugh:

frank9755 likes this.
  11. frank9755

frank9755 Cyclist

I've used a set that I bought on eBay for the last seven years. Fits perfectly, can access every gear. I used it to ride across the windy, flat desert in Australia on IndyPac.
    It took a bit of trimming and fiddling to fit it to begin with, and needs checking and occasional re-taping, but basically a great product.

12. frank9755

frank9755 Cyclist

Rubbish!
    Last year Aerocoach launched some fast wheels based on extensive wind tunnel testing and which used wheel covers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice