rear wheel joy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
I finally got over my phobia at last. After suffering for years ,I'm now no longer afraid.
I can tear the dammed thing down in record time. Wack in a new tube and be back on the road without an episode of bike rage. I am complete.
no more turning into a gibbering vegetable roadside. The local taxi drivers will miss my trade and my rants on punctures.
I am a better man.

mitchibob

Über Member
Awesome! Now, perhaps we should start a change.org petition against certain bike shops (including Brommie official repairers, Evans for one!) charging a ridiculous premium to fix a rear-wheel Brommie puncture over a front, as it's far less painful than their charges ever suggest, regardless of the hub type! Just criminal!

ExBrit

Über Member
Congratulations on overcoming your phobia (although technically phobias only refer to Unreasonable fears). I really should take a refresher course in the kitchen.

T4tomo

Guru
Mine only ever had 2 I think, on the standard brommie tyres before I "marathon"-ed it. laying the bike on its side to untension the tensioner is a very useful tip. and then just be methodical. there isnt anything that scary about it.

T4tomo

Guru
I googled the double ended tubes but don't get how an open tube would work.
its not open, its a closed cylinder, rather than a closed torus (donut / ring) so you can feed it into the tyre without taking wheel off the bike frame, you just ease tyre off the rim, insert "tube" and replace tyre, and it inflates into a torus shape guided by the tyre. think cumberland sausage, but inflatable.:okay:

Biker man

I'm afraid I still sometimes wake up sweating, in the middle of a nightmare about a rear-wheel Brompton puncture.

I must try doing a bit more remove-and-replace therapy at home, in a safe environment.
Have you tried double ended tubes just get the tyre over the rim cut old tube out check the tyre then thread tube in no need to remove the wheel God send .

Tenkaykev

Guru
Have you tried double ended tubes just get the tyre over the rim cut old tube out check the tyre then thread tube in no need to remove the wheel God send .
Not aware of one that would fit a Brompton. Might be a winter project to experiment with a Schwalbe AV4 inner tube and see if it’s possible to weld the rubber together.

Top Bottom