Rear wheel swap.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Are most 700 wheels interchangeable ? The rear wheel on my work bike has seen better days,not much life left ! Its on a triban 8 speed bike.I had another wheel with 10 speed 105 hub.The cassette fits but when I tried to mount the wheel it doesn't seem to fit in dropouts.I tried it tonight without cassette and tyre but it seems too tight and won't sit central.
Sorry if I've worded this badly.
Any ideas ? Could the hub/freewheel be fitted bad.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Most non-disc rear wheels should be the same and 130mm width. Some cyclocross wheels are 135mm and older wheels 126mm width on the rear.

Big John

Guru
Measure the axle length of the wheel you want to drop in and compare it to the length of the axle on the wheel you're swapping out. See if there's a difference. And measure the distance between the dropouts.

Good morning,

Once you've done the above.

You don't say how old your bike is, is it old enough that you could have a frame designed for a 7sp 126mm hub that was springy enough to accept a 130mm hub 8 speed hub, so it ended up on 8 speed bikes?

And your new wheel, assuming that it is not a 135mm hub is just a touch wider than 130mm and you have reached the frame's limit? If the frame was a bit tight for a 126mm hub this would sort of make sense.

There are still a lot of 7sp bikes being made and sold, even GCN did a "review" of one only a few days ago, around £280, 21 speed, deep section wheels, weight around 15kg and yes they weren't too kind.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Stupid question, is there clearance for the tyre or is it touching the frame stopping the wheel seating in the dropouts?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Yes as Vickster said tried without tyre.

Sharky

Guru
Are you referring to the width between the fork ends (axle length) or the diameter of the axle not fitting the fork ends fully?
I had a wheel (was a front wheel) that didn't quite fit the fork ends and I had to file the fork ends a smidge to make it seat properly.

Ajax Bay

Guru
won't sit central.
Adam - what do you mean: "it won't fit central"? I assume therefore that the 105 hubbed wheel fits into the dropouts fine but it's not central. Or are you saying it doesn't? "it seems too tight". Too tight for what?
The 105 hubbed wheel has a 'normal' 8/9/10sp freehub so the 8sp cassette will fit on fine. The Triban OEM has the same freehub.
They will surely both be 130mm OLN. And so will the rear dropouts. But as advised ^^ you need to check those 3 measurements.
Without the chain in the way, try fitting the 105 hubbed wheel in the 'wrong' way round. Is the rim equidistant between the chainstays?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Had a half hour with it tonight.Wheel fits but doesn't seem to sit central if that makes sense.I tried it both ways as @Ajax Bay said.To knackered from work tonight.Maybe I'll have more patience at weekend.Its probably something and nothing.Thanks all

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the wheel fits between the rear dropouts but is not central (you can tell this immediately by looking at the distance between the rim and each chainstay) then the wheel needs truing. Unscrew one side of spoke nipples one turn each and then screw the other side's set up one complete turn (per nipple). Repeat till central.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
If the wheel fits between the rear dropouts but is not central (you can tell this immediately by looking at the distance between the rim and each chainstay) then the wheel needs truing. Unscrew one side of spoke nipples one turn each and then screw the other side's set up one complete turn (per nipple). Repeat till central.
Sure your right,had it so long in my garage and could have sworn it was ok.But I'm thinking there can't be another explanation.Thanks

Top Bottom