England : London Reasonably Rapid London to Southsea Castle 2: May 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The last outing went very well for its teeny peloton, and a few people have suggested they'd be interested in a rerun as they couldn't make last time, so here goes....
Starting from HPC, last time was 7.30 but depending on attendees' preferences regarding lunch stops we could make it a bit later, then running down via Putney Bridge, Richmond Park (either round the edge or, as per Geoffrey's suggestion last time, down the middle then Teddington and Bushy Park), Esher, Cobham, Plough Lane and Ripley. Tea stop there, at the most excellent Nest Cafe, before progressing on through Guildford and Godalming. After that, it'll be either the tried-and-tested lumpiness either side of Haslemere, sadly always worse going south (or so it feels to my legs and cardiovascular system) or, subject to recce, a more gentle alternative via Elstead, Thursley and Bordon. Lunch stop either there or Haslemere depending on route taken, unless we're making really, really good time. Then down to Petersfield, and from there either the longer but more pleasant westward route via East Meon to the top of Portsdown Hill (one long and deceptively steep drag), or the shorter route via Buriton (very steep and nasty little climb) which has the considerable disadvantage of leading into Leigh Park. Then as flat as an extremely flat pancake until the seafront. Hopefully we might be be in time to be able to get into the Castle this time, but the view is still great if it isn't. Usual rules about no-one being left behind and so on will of course apply. Should anyone need to bail, we'll never be too far from the nearest station. Frequent train services to Waterloo (quicker more frequent but pricier) and Victoria (half the price, but one an hour and they can be like cattle trucks) for those who don't feel like riding home (or whose home isn't three miles away).

After entirely unwarranted comparisons with a certain Dodo's penchant for understating climbs, I'll be absolutely clear about this....

It's not flat.
It's really, really, not flat.
Like 4,000ft of climbing and never really settles over the best part of sixty miles not flat.
A geared lightweight bike is emphatically recommended. Walnuts did OK SSing, but he has bigger thighs than most, and he was regretting it at times.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry Stu. Sounds a great ride, but have other plans.
Hope it goes well.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hey Stu, I think I should be fine for this ride, but will have to confirm closer to the time as its my sisters birthday weekend and not sure whats going on just yet.

But this is a great little but slightly lumpy ride but good one none the less.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Did a sort-of-recce for a not-Haslemere route today. I say sort of because it went pear-shaped. Went up to Ripley the usual way, had lunch, loaded up the route...oh dear, that was a 'mare. Wrong way round Guildford, with extra lumpiness. Farncombe Hill (not misnamed). And so on. Into a headwind. Eventually said **** this and went for a train, having ended up back at Milford (that indicates how wrong that went). I'm blaming the OSM routing for trying to send me down a bridle path for one thing, and myself for not checking it properly. At the moment, I'm thinking that we either stick with Haslemere (could be better but it works...), or go for a variation on the one Lee posted upthread- Ripley-Send-towards Farnham-Bordon- which could cut a quarter of the climbing out. I'm probably not going to able to do another recce, so that will be subject to a thorough virtual checking....

beatyf

i think so,Stu - stick me in for this, please. Let's hope the weather is as kind as it was last time!
11.gif

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Thanks Lee, very helpful. I've just had a play around with bikehike- a mix of that with my previous route should do nicely (Leigh Park and that **** climb up out of Buriton are not on my agenda :smile: ). Provisional route plan will follow at some point.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Right, provisional route is now here. Putney Bridge- Richmond Park-Teddington- Bushy Park-Esher-Ockham-Ripley, skirting north of Guildford then over to Ash, Farnham, on down to Bordon and Liss. Through Petersfield as on the previous run, that same deceptively-lumpy-bit towards East Meon, then (exciting route change here!), Hambledon and Denmead before dropping down into the city. On account of Ride With GPS causing problems last time (i.e. the download didn't work right!), I did the route on bikehike first, file attached. This is .gpxx format (enables full turn-by-turn on an Edge 705 with over 100 coursepoints), superfluous points (mostly) edited out.

Attachments

• HPCSouthseav2.gpx
    118 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom