England : London Reasonably Rapid London to Southsea Castle 2: May 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lilolee

Veteran
Stu, looking good.
Can I suggest an alternative route in Farnham, as I have cycled there and that A31 round about is nasty. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2429243 This allows you to cross the A31 at traffic lights.

Any ideas where you might lunch, don't think I can make it to London in morning, but can meet up around Aldershot/Farnham.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Stu, looking good.
Can I suggest an alternative route in Farnham, as I have cycled there and that A31 round about is nasty. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2429243 This allows you to cross the A31 at traffic lights.

Any ideas where you might lunch, don't think I can make it to London in morning, but can meet up around Aldershot/Farnham.
Thanks again Lee- I'll bear that in mind. Might tweak further, was thinking somewhere round Bordon as the route stands (50 or so miles out, Ripley tea stop is 25 or so), and there's a nice looking pub in Arford- might make more sense to stick with route 1.0 down to Godalming/Milford then cut across.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

OK, further update. Halfway House will be the planned lunch stop (one in Arford looks good too, but route to that one is rather fiddlier). I'll probably take a slightly less fussy route through Southsea (I couldn't be bothered mucking about with the points on that stretch), but this is 99.9% there. Gpxx file attached.

Attachments

• HPCSouthseaV3.gpx
    109.1 KB · Views: 93

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Stu,
It looks like we might be joined on this ride by a couple of work mates if that is ok? One will meet us at HPC and the other will intercept us as we leave Richmond Park. So some questions is the start still 7.30am and what gate and rough time will you exit Richmond Park?

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Titus,
The more the merrier. Sticking with 7.30 (in the absence of any requests to the contrary). Exit from RP will be Ham Gate, ETA would be something like 8.15-8.30 at a rough guess.

lilolee

Veteran
As I thought, due to a friends 50th night out on Friday, I'll be meeting you at the lunch stop. I'll be aiming for 12:30 or should it be earlier?

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Lee, 1230 sounds about right. If there are any delays waiting around won't be bother for anyone.

AKA Bob

Stu,
The new improved route looks great but when I upload the last GPX file I am getting a straight line between London and Pompey. Am I doing something wrong?
On another note I think we maybe joined by 3 maybe 4 (who will confirm Saturday) of my work mates if that is ok?
Titus

lilolee

Veteran
I had same problem in Basecamp, but try this one converted by RidewithGPS

Attachments

• HPCSouthseaV3 (1).gpx
    332.7 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Oh yes, the old GPS BS....downloads from this site won't display properly on that one. Downloads that work one on device don't work on another. Or work right.....
The RidewithGPS link posted earlier (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2435420) displays fine here. If you've got anything other than an Edge 705, that should be fine (should probably being the operative word). If you've got a 705, stick with the .gpxx I uploaded. On the first ride, the download from Ride With GPS didn't work for me or Charlie, hence I've tried to go for a belt & braces approach. And please check they load on your GPS!

AKA Bob

I had same problem in Basecamp, but try this one converted by RidewithGPS

Thank you Lee TCX file uploaded and showing wiggly route on my Garmin. All I have to do is make sure my big bike is given a quick service as Stu will be pleased to hear I am leaving the Brompton at home!

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Well, this route is probably a touch more Brommie-friendly (i.e. considerably less climbing), but the Ridgeback's gearing will certainly be handy.

Top Bottom