Reasons not to wear helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
why do you not need a reason not to wear one when you require a reason for me to wear one? either you and i do or you and i dont

Mad at urage

why do you not need a reason not to wear one when you require a reason for me to wear one? either you and i do or you and i dont
He has already answered that question David:

But I don't need an objection to not wear one, just like I don't need an objection to not carry a lucky rabbits foot or St Christopher's medal around with me. What I need is a sound reason to wear one and I haven't found one yet. But it is quite standard for the pro-helmet lobby to reverse the burden of proof in this way.

Do you carry a lucky rabbits foot with you David?

If not, why not?

Perhaps rabbits feet are like crossed fingers. One is good luck, two or more bad luck. With four you're doomed as a rabbit.

I wonder how many people there are with a St Christopher's Medal believing it will save them from a fatal traffic accident?

adam23

i like to wear one because if it gives me 1% extra chance if i crash then it has to be worth it how much is your life worth.

but i also understand that if you dont want to wear you shouldnt be told to.

i have seen a cyclist smash a windscreen with his head and his helmet saved his head from a lot more damage.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I bet this thread could go on to 30 pages if we try :rolleyes:

i like to wear one because if it gives me 1% extra chance if i crash then it has to be worth it how much is your life worth.

How much is your life worth? There are lots of things that can give you 1% or more extra chance if you take appropriate precautions - a helmet to reduce the chance of a head injury while walking or driving, rubber gloves to reduce the chance of electrocution when using electrical appliances. Air breathing apparatus and a fireman's suit by the bed in case the house catches fire. How many of these do you do? How much is your life worth?

but i also understand that if you dont want to wear you shouldnt be told to.

i have seen a cyclist smash a windscreen with his head and his helmet saved his head from a lot more damage.

I have seen hundreds of head injuries and most have not been cyclists. Car drivers, pedestrians, both outnumber the cyclists.

However one does need to ask.... If a helmet worn by a pedestrian or car driver gives that individual a 1% extra chance in a crash then surely it has to be equally worth it.

How much is their life worth?

Eight point five centimetres; my eight point five centimetres. Mine and all mine.

Afik, in amongst all the statistical and epidemiological research papers on cycle helmets, there's only one research paper based on simple straight observation and measurement of actual human behaviour - plain ordinary real people,real time, real measurement. It's here. Reported here.

Bottom lines
  • 23% more drivers come within 1 metre of a cyclist wearing a helmet;
  • on average, motor vehicles pass 8.5 centimetres closer to cyclists with helmets.

Many will and do choose to wear a helmet, take the cut in space and the increased risk of collision, but trust the helmet's protection. Fine by me – that's your choice,your judgement call.

However, I make an active and positive choice NOT to wear a helmet, for my own self-preservation. I choose

• that extra bit of space on the road from drivers
  • to have fewer drivers invading my “safety bubble”
  • and to prioritise reducing the risk of a collision rather than protecting myself after a collision.
And will I argue about it? Nope.

I should perhaps be open – my longhair, tied back in a ponytail, may give me the added benefit of appearing to be a female cyclist ..... hey, according to observed and measured behaviour, drivers give me even MORE space! :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom