Reccomended tools to carry please can you advise ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Afternoon all ...

New to cycling well any distance anyway used to be down the shops & back but last couple of weeks it's been 20/40 mile trips out & really enjoying it .

That enthusiasm has led me to enter a few sportives that i will take part in the coming few months on my mountain bike

But what I need to know really is the basic list of requirements that I should take with me , currently I have a little zip up bag that's connected to my seat post but recently it's only had a couple of bananas in it lol , guess I'm going to need a few basic tools etc in case of breakdown & of course a puncture repair kit , though I'm 46 years old & never ever repaired a puncture in my life but hey guess that it's never to late to learn !

Have drinks bottle x 2 in holders , Garmin is sorted on mount as is my I phone if someone could point me in the right direction of anything else I shall add it to my list of bike bits to purchase

Thanks for any forthcoming advice & thank you for reading

13 rider

Guru
Carry spare inner tube ( preferable 2) easier to change tube then fix a puncture at the roadside. Tyre levers times 3 . Multi tool for Allen keys etc. Cable ties for bodging latex glooves for clean hand . It's worth a practice changing a tube at home before you get stuck on the bike
Hope that helps

vickster

Legendary Member
Multi tool, tyre levers, mini pump, tubes. I don't bother with repairing tubes, just use a new one (some people take home to repair)

Also, make sure your tyres are in good condition, to lower the risk of punctures. Practice in the comfort of your own home with the mini pump

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Mini pump, two tubes, multitool, chain tool, tyre levers, puncture kit for me. Used to have a quicklink in there as well, but I think it's gotten lost.

I also never fix punctures on the roadside, but the kit is in there should I one day run out of tubes. My patches are of the modern glueless variety.

vickster

Legendary Member
A handful of damp grass works almost as well, though. :smile:
Just check it first :ohmy:
Might not be readily available in an urban environment where many punctures occur

There is no point carrying tools if you don't know how to use them.
Practice a bit first. replace a rear inner tube.
Any modern bike multi-tool with solve most roadside mechanical issues, if you know how.
In addition to a multi-tool that you have checked, fits all of your allen bolts, nuts, bolts, screws, and spokes also carry:
Spare power-link for your chain, zipp tie, some ductape around a pencil stub, a small penkife blade (for glass and flints, if your tool lacks this feature).
Some money
A small piece of rag.
A basic first-aid kit for grazes (antiseptic wipe, plasters, dressing)

simongt

Guru
Agree with the posts above; would add a head torch to help light up fixing whatever when it's dark; keeps the hands free for the job in hand. Also a 10cm length of stout wire - an old mudguard stay works well - bent into a square 'J' shape at one end. Works wonders for getting a chain back on when it's jumped off the cassette or chainset without you getting your hands covered in gunk. Takes up no space in the kit and although I've never used it, I've helped two other cyclists out with it - !

As above - new tubes in case of puncture, tyre levers and mini pump.

If you do get a puncture always check the inside of the tyre for thorns etc and make sure that none of the tube has trapped under the tyre bead -as there is nothing worse than fixing a puncture only to find that the new tube has punctured as well.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If your off the beaten tracks with no bike shop,bus or trains near by and you have no one at home that will come and rescue you, become self-sufficient :-
1 P*ncture repair kit
1 allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke
hypercracker
Spare nuts, bolts, powerlinks
Wire cutters
Pliers
Adjustable 100mm & 150mm spanners
2 small screw drivers
Small sockets to fit screw driver handle
First aid kit with triangular bandage paracetamol, co-codamol, gaviscon tablets
Batteries for rear light and computer
Small tyre pump (not mini)
1 Co2 pump
Zip ties
spare keys for house, bike locks
Phone
Pen and paper
10 sheets of kitchen roll
Very small bottle of hand cleaner
Insulation tape
£5 in small change
Small roll of gaffer tape
Brake and gear cables
Spare bite valve for camalbac
Small roll string
Spare gloves

If your off the beaten tracks with no bike shop,bus or trains near by and you have no one at home that will come and rescue you, become self-sufficient :-
1 P*ncture repair kit
1 allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke