Reccomended tools to carry please can you advise ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is a tool kit for an expedition cyclist.
You really need 3 kits: one is a basic puncture kit for journeys of about 3 miles or so, where you could walk back, but don't want too.
Another for longer commutes, training routes day tours etc which can fix most roadside mechanicals.
The expedition toolkit is one you can use for serious stripdown maintenance if your bike falls into a muddy ford or gets left out in a sandstorm.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Absolutely brilliant you lot thank you very much to everyone I shall hand pick the bits mentioned relevant & will definetly get some spare inner tubes & practise changing them , must be some good guides on you tube that I can follow :smile:

Oh & best get a bigger saddle bag thing lol !

vickster

Legendary Member
Absolutely brilliant you lot thank you very much to everyone I shall hand pick the bits mentioned relevant & will definetly get some spare inner tubes & practise changing them , must be some good guides on you tube that I can follow :smile:

Oh & best get a bigger saddle bag thing lol !
You can use jersey pockets and a pump will mount on the frame

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A puncture is the overwhelmingly most likely cause of a breakdown, so that's the one to prepare for.

Most other mechanicals either don't stop you riding, or can be bodged - often without tools - to get you home.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
What about me bananas where they going to go now ? currently that's all I have in me bag !

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
30 Bianchis rode 100km on your patch last week. Nobody needed anything.

Hope to make that 31 in a few months ;)

Probably won't need anything admititaly but feel a bit irresponsible of me if I just turn up at an event with nothing bar my bike so just starting to get a few things together ready just in casey

Quite right. For what it is worth, I carry 2 tubes, 2 pumps (a CO2 and a topeak mini) two tyre levers (Park) a pack of patches (Park) 9, 10 and 11 speed quick links, a tiny (sample) tube of lube all of which goes into a Vittoria bottle-cage zip-up case. Never needed a multi-tool, so don't carry one.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Quite right. For what it is worth, I carry 2 tubes, 2 pumps (a CO2 and a topeak mini) two tyre levers (Park) a pack of patches (Park) 9, 10 and 11 speed quick links, a tiny (sample) tube of lube all of which goes into a Vittoria bottle-cage zip-up case. Never needed a multi-tool, so don't carry one.

Thanks was going to ask what levers , pump etc I'll get what you advise , the bottle cage zip up case looks great as well to hold everything :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks was going to ask what levers , pump etc I'll get what you advise , the bottle cage zip up case looks great as well to hold everything :smile:
Remember with that you'll only have one bottle cage for liquids
You can get quite big saddle bags
Levers, park tools or VAR
Pump, Lezyne for me, I never got on with the Topeak ones, prefer an actual hose than just attaching the pump head

vickster

Legendary Member
Choose your banana to match the curve of your drop handlebar. Secure with a tactical piece of Velcro (other hook and loop fasteners are available). For added panache, make a nick in the stalk of the banana before you attach it, to act as a quick release for easy peeling.
He has an MTB with ergon grips so needs to be shaped to fit those...maybe a plantain instead!

Top Bottom