Recent Maths chat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
RichK said:
You're 25 years too late for me to answer stuff like this...
That's exactly what I was going to say!

I wrestled with second order differential equations, boundary conditions, div, grad, curl etc. for my electrical engineering degree back in the 1980s and then promptly forgot all that malarkey after I graduated! :welcome:

I lost you in that bit where you started typing.

Has anyone seen my marbles? I can't seem to find them anywhere...

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
:smile:
marinyork said:
Use the two trigonometric identities Cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x) and 1=sin^2(x)+cos^2(x).
So

Cos(2x)=Cos^2(x)-(1-cos^2(x))
Cos(2x)=2Cos^2(x)-1

So
-1/4(Cos(2x)Sec(x)
=-1/4(2Cos^2(x)-1)sec(x)
=-1/4(2Cos^2(x)-1)/cos(x)
=-1/4(2Cos(x) -1/cos(x)
=-1/4(2Cos(x) +(1/4)Sec(x)

It took a while to follow, but yes :smile:

And so the general solution becomes:

y = CSec(x) - 1/2 Cos(x) + 1/4 Sec(x)

Apply the initial condition y(0)=1/2

The particular solution comes out as:

y = Sec(x) - 1/2 Cos(x) as required :smile:

I'm still at a loss as to why the general solution above is not in agreement with the given g.s. of :
y = C Sec(x) - 1/2 Cos(x)

Although I feel that if C is an arbitrary constant, then:

CSec(x)+1/4 Sec(x) = DSec(x) where D is now an arbitrary constant, trying to show it on paper is another matter!

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Michael

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
marinyork said:
Use the two trigonometric identities Cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x) and 1=sin^2(x)+cos^2(x).
So

Cos(2x)=Cos^2(x)-(1-cos^2(x))
Cos(2x)=2Cos^2(x)-1

So
-1/4(Cos(2x)Sec(x)
=-1/4(2Cos^2(x)-1)sec(x)
=-1/4(2Cos^2(x)-1)/cos(x)
=-1/4(2Cos(x) -1/cos(x)
=-1/4(2Cos(x) +(1/4)Sec(x)

Add this to the rest to get your 3/4Sec(x) +1/4Sec(x) to get Sec(x).

I've just noticed the time at which you posted that, and after being down the pub as well - most impressive !

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Gratts,

This particular question was taken from the revision material for an O.U. level 3 course (the revision material is online if you want a link). i.e. assumed prior knowledge. The proceedure for solving differential equations is level 2, but I found this particular question hard (very very!), due to the trig identities.

I do wonder whether I'm really suitable for maths at this level!

U

User482

10 years ago, I could do this stuff. I can only assume that my brain has poured out of my ears in the mean time, and I never noticed.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
User76 said:
Well, I think it's lucky there are people in the world who do this type of thing. I am sure it is really useful. but what the hell is it for?

Applied maths can be used when modelling the effect of forces on bodies. Friction, air resistance, that kind of thing. It probably came in handy in stopping paras (and airborne donkey artillary) from going SPLAT.

As you can see I'm not particularly good at it so would have probably gone for the practical experimental approach myself !!

Jump, SPLAT, let's try a bigger one. etc etc

Luckily there are people in the world who do this type of thing !!!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Mathematics is the science of patterns.

As for what it's useful for. Mechanics gives you a description of how firearms and projectiles will work. More advanced stuff gives an approximation how different materials will behave down to a fine detail, making advanced weaponry possible.

MichaelM you should try Schaum's D.E.s by Bronson for differential equations. Good to a fairly decent undergrad level of ODEs. If you want something higher level like Sturm-Louiville or Bessel functions more engineering books or special functions tends to meat it out a great deal.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
marinyork said:
MichaelM you should try Schaum's D.E.s by Bronson for differential equations...

I literally have a stack of textbooks. This is supposed to be revision before moving on to the new stuff. It's all I can manage to keep up with the coursework never mind doing even more for fun!

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
marinyork said:
What's the new stuff you're about to do?

Fluid mechanics, and Cosmology. And no, I can't even begin to picture a 4 dimensional warped space-time. But the alternative was Quantum mechanics, which scares me silly.

Top Bottom