Recharging battery with a dynamo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
I have just invested in a dynamo hub and an e-werk charger. I tried it out on few rides and have been inconsistent in recharging an Anker battery. What settings do folk on here us for battery charging and which batteries are the best ones to use?

Thanks for any help

Lonestar

Veteran
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

Don't know if you would find this useful...Not sure of the voltage of your battery or thew type of cells but I did something like this thirty years ago using NiCd but now there are the better NiMh batteries.My system worked quite well but I had done it more than one...My first time in the mid 1980's using a Lead Acid battery I thin k it was.Unfortunately my last project ended when my bike was nicked in 1990.

I have had other systems since with lights being powered by capacitors which were called standlights.Have two on my Brompton.

I wasn't actually sure what that battery was used for but know more now as I have looked it up.My system was more for powering lights at the time but as we have much better LED technology I guess my systems are not needed anymore.

I wonder if that battery pack has Li-ion batteries in.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have a Powermonkey Explorer 2 which has been great. There's an eBay seller in Spain who sells them cheaply. I bought one for my oldest daughter to to keep her 'life' up to date. Shimano Dynamo hub to a B&M light with USB doobree.

I also use a solar panel when touring. I never have to rely on anyone. Like it.

The USB-WERK can be connected to a dynamo hub providing 5 V at up to 1 A. An integrated small cache battery ensures that the power remains constant at slow speeds or short stops. That makes the USB-WERK an excellent solution to charge and power USB devices like mobile phones, GPS, MP3 players etc. Comes with a USB cable.

Universally usable
With this dynamo connected, universal powering device, voltage (up to 13.3 V) and current (up to 1.5 A) can be adjusted variably in small increments. It charges at velocities of approx. 8 km/h and faster. At only 15 km/h it charges as quickly as standard mains connected chargers. It can be fed with up to 50 V DC, so that
operation with an e-bike or car battery is possible as well.

You have done all the right things try adjusting the voltage up to the Anker PowerCore. If its to low it will take 30 hours to charge up.

Top Bottom