recipe request - chocolate cake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpleR

Guru
I made the mistake of volunteering to make a cake for some people at my work. Now they're holding me to it, and won't stop banging on at me until I present them with a triple chocolate cake.

Have you got a recipe?

yours hungrily
purpleR

:blush::tongue::tongue:

I couldn't find the recipe I used about four years ago, which was excellent: however you should find something here to make you a star at work! :blush:

http://www.cacaoweb.net/chocolatemoussecake.html

Alternatively, try another recipe at the top of the page.

barq

I won't get a chance to check my books until tomorrow night, but for cake I would suggest Delia Smith. Cakes require quite exact ratios of key ingredients which suit her rather precise style of cooking.

There is a book of cake recipes I've got at home so I'll get back to you with one of them.

bonj2

200g of butter
200g of flour
mix it together
4 eggs , mix them in
200g sugar, mix that in
few tablespoons of cocoa, mix that in
few teaspoons of baking powder (if the flour isn't self raising, which i would recommend actually)
MELT SOME BOURNVILLE and a bit of it at this stage - this makes the sponge extra nice
cook it in a tin in the oven,
melt some butter in a pan and add some icing sugar, then a bit of water (or milk) and the rest of the bournville - this makes the icing, when it cools it will set a bit, so keep it warm till when the cake is done and cooled a bit
chop the cake in half
put the icing on
voila, a cake

longers

Legendary Member
I've got a very good recipe for chocolate and pear pudding and it's really simple too.

2oz of plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2+1/2 oz of soft marg
4oz of sugar
2 tbsp of cocoa
medium sized egg
14 oz of pears (tinned or fresh)

Grease a suitable ovenprooof dish.
Add pears (no juice).
Mix all other ingredients and pour on top.

Gas Mark 4 for 2o minutes.

It's too messy to take to work (which is what you're after) but is very very good.

Should we ask Shaun for a seperate food and drink section?

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/squidgy-chocolate-log,1217,RC.html

This cake/log uses your local egg supply in one hit...but it is a good 'un and great fun to roll up.

Haven't made it for a few years now... but I can remember being blimmin' greedy!

Torte, or a thinner choc cake might be easier to divvy up if it is for sharing I suppose. Make two anyway - there's no harm in a 'taste test' and 'evaluative analysis' ie: pig out in private! :blush:

elleigh

How about Nigella's Malteaser Cake?

Ingredients

250g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids

125g unsalted butter, softened

6 eggs: 2 whole, 4 separated

175g caster sugar

2 tablespoons Cointreau (optional)

grated zest of 1 orange (optional)

23cm springform cake tin

for the cream topping:

500ml double cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon Cointreau (optional)

half teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder for sprinkling

Method

Preheat the oven to gas Mark 4.

Line the bottom of the cake tin with baking parchment.

Melt the chocolate either in a double boiler or a microwave, and then let the butter melt in the warm chocolate.

Beat the 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks with 75g of the caster sugar, then gently add the chocolate mixture, the Cointreau and orange zest.

In another bowl, whisk the 4 egg whites until foamy, then gradually add the 100g of sugar and whisk until the whites are holding their shape but not too stiff. Lighten the chocolate mixture with a dollop of egg whites, and then fold in the rest of the whites. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is risen and cracked and the centre is no longer wobbly. Cool the cake in its tin on a wire rack; the middle will sink as it cools.

When you are ready to eat, place the still tin-bound cake on a cake stand or plate for serving and carefully remove the cake from its tin. Don't worry about cracks or rough edges: it's the crater look we're going for here. Whip the cream until it's soft and then add the vanilla and Cointreau and continue whisking until the cream is firm but not stiff. Fill the crater of the cake with the whipped cream, easing it out gently towards the edges of the cake, and dust the top lightly with cocoa powder pushed through a tea-strainer.

Serves 8-12

Mr Phoebus

How about Nigella covered in cake? :blush:

Top Bottom