Recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jugular

We just cook as we do at home, except usually veggie. Buy some pasta and chopped toms, add some veg. Nothing fancy, nothing exciting just simple and filling. Big lunches in nice pubs serve to fill me up and the evening meal just tops me up before bed.

Echolalia

Veteran
I always like to conserve gas, a 450ml canister lasted me two months once! Just boil water in a pan with a foil lid, use that water to then make tea and to add to dry ingredients (noodles, buckwheat, couscous), then cut up some fresh veg to add. I cooked noodles with a giant mushroom cut up, was good considering I spent about £1.

chap

Veteran
  1. Wholewheat Spaghetti
  2. Tuna
  3. Pineapple - optional
  4. Sweetcorn
  5. Red pesto (1 spoonful)

Cook spaghetti independently, chuck in Tuna, followed by pineapple, then sweetcorn. Whisk, then stop fire and add pesto.

Goes down well with almost any bottle of red.

Echolalia

Veteran
That feeling of cycling and drinking alcohol at the end of the day, is very attractive. I keep telling myself it is a pleasurable way of hydrating my body, as I order another pint in some strange land.

Arch

Married to Night Train
chap said:
  1. Wholewheat Spaghetti
  2. Tuna
  3. Pineapple - optional
  4. Sweetcorn
  5. Red pesto (1 spoonful)

Cook spaghetti independently, chuck in Tuna, followed by pineapple, then sweetcorn. Whisk, then stop fire and add pesto.

Goes down well with almost any bottle of red.

Ooh, I like pineapple in pizza and stirfry and so on, never thought of adding it to tuna pasta.... Black olives work well in that mix too.

Top thread! Keep them coming because i have no imagination with these things. My staples all involve rehydrating dried food with hot water (saves fuel) and are:

Breakfast: Ready break, empty a packet of hot chocolate powder in, add hot water and a handful of mixed fruit and nuts. Quite yum but looks like wallpaper paste.
Lunch: Rehydrate a packet of flavoured couscous. Add a lot of salami. Scoff.
Dinner: Rehydrate smash, fry sausages, and heat a sachet of onion gravy if you've got it. Or add tuna, corned beef, salmon, other tinned protein and a veg like sweetcorn etc to said smash. If you're in a youth hostel you can use smash as a topping to something like chicken. Fry the chicken and an onion or pepper if you've got one and use packet soup to make a sauce for the chicken. Sprinkle a bit of dried soup on and add water so you get a gravy. Put the smash on top and heat it under the grill so it goes crispy.

People are far more creative than me! I particularly like the bread recipe.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ooh, tuna hash, I like it!

Good tip for the chicken too. I guess you could make an easy fish pie doing it with tinned fish.

Vegetable bouillion powder is a good thing to have, adds a nice easy flavour to rice or couscous, and then you can just add whatever 'bits' you want.

Arch said:
ooh, tuna hash, I like it!

Good tip for the chicken too. I guess you could make an easy fish pie doing it with tinned fish.

Vegetable bouillion powder is a good thing to have, adds a nice easy flavour to rice or couscous, and then you can just add whatever 'bits' you want.

Yes good point with the bouillon powder - I'll remember that for next time. Chicken/fish pie was the best solution I could come up with after having spent 15 minutes staring at the shelves in the world's most under-stocked Spar, in Bonar Bridge. It was the best I could do without involving tinned goods or anything bulky or heavy. It was like a really downmarket version of ready steady cook.

Christopher

Über Member
I use coucous a lot:

1) Put couscous in a pan, boil water in 2nd pan, pour water onto couscous, put lid on and leave 5 mins;
2) Meanwhile heat up your sauce of choice in the pan you used to boil water in - should get it at least warm in 5 mins;
3) Mix and eat.

I am trying to make an edible high-energy sauce that has roasted nuts, chicken livers, kidney beans, chickpeas, toms, chocolate, onions etc etc but no success yet (tyring to make a simple Mexican mole). The idea is to make the sauce before the trip, reduce as much as possbile and then pack it into little containers. BTW sun-dried toms are a good meat substitute, they taste great...

Am also working on rye bread with raisins in, it is great trail bread, lots of energy, tastes great and does not get squished in the pack/panniers.

hubbike

interesting links kirstie. I love the, slightly OTT, detail in the cycletourer site.

Just thought of another thing. I tried to make my own "energy bars" once. My criteria was that they should not require an oven.
Ingredients:
Honey
Peanut butter (I prefer crunchy)
Oats
(Optional extras) Dried fruits, nuts, smarties, decicated coconut etc.
Method:
1. Mix 1 cup of honey and 1 cup of peanut butter with 3 cups of oats (and the other dry stuff), or however much you need to make it bind.
2. Form in to bar shapes and refridgerate.

Also, I guess for any food thread I shoud recommend "The Hungry Cyclist" certainly one of the best touring books I have ever read. His website is cool too.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
My quick and simple is pasta and soup - start cooking the pasta, and then when it's half done throw in a packet of "simmer for 5 minutes" soup. Add any extras - eg corned beef near the end. Guessing the amount of water right takes a bit of practice, but you can always add extra if it looks like getting too thick.

When cooking more complicated stuff, a pot cosy is useful. It will keep the contents hot enough that you can bring the pasta to the boil, then put the pot in the cosy for the pasta to cook whilst you make the rest of the meal. Allow about 50% extra on top of the normal simmering time.
Even with 1 pot meals you save fuel, and can have tea with the meal rather than after. They are also good for keeping the food hot whilst you eat if from the pan.
Pot cosies are made from this stuff, if you don't mind buying far more than you would use.

beastie

Guru
andrew_s said:
My quick and simple is pasta and soup - start cooking the pasta, and then when it's half done throw in a packet of "simmer for 5 minutes" soup. Add any extras - eg corned beef near the end. Guessing the amount of water right takes a bit of practice, but you can always add extra if it looks like getting too thick.

Hallo!!!...Hallo!!!!!....hallo? Taste?
does anyone else think that this is actually a recipe ?( it's barely food)

has any one got a suggestion that involves Fresh produce?

Echolalia

Veteran
Tinned green lentils, put in pan, chop up an onion add chicken stock cube simmer for 5 mins then squeeze over a lemon. Eat with fresh bread bought from Grandma Huffkins boutique bread rolls boudoir extravaganza.

Top Bottom