Recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
beastie;1218887][QUOTE=andrew_s said:
has any one got a suggestion that involves Fresh produce?

Add walnut oil to frying pan and add garlic (2 finely choped cloves if fresh is available) herbes de Provence, and freshly ground pepper to taste - bring pan to the warm and stir gently for 5 minutes -add two to three glugs of port and one small glug of balsamtic vinegar and reduce for 2 -3 minutes - add one pan sized swordfish steak (not too thick say
about 1 - 1.5cm) and fry gently till brown on the outside and just flaking on the inside

When just cooked cover with a soft blue cheese and leave to cook for another minute

Serve with baby new potatoes and baby carrots and peas (tinned as there is only so many pans you can have on the go in a tent - remember to remove lid, pierce base of can remove label and place in pan with potatoes for 5 minutes) -if you only have one stove the potatoes can be cooked before the fish and left in the pan to keep warm

serve with a light red wine or whatever it happens to be that you have bought

Serves two or one cyclist

hubbike

psmiffy;1219046][QUOTE=beastie said:
Serves two or one cyclist
:biggrin:
Good recipe!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
Yes good point with the bouillon powder - I'll remember that for next time. Chicken/fish pie was the best solution I could come up with after having spent 15 minutes staring at the shelves in the world's most under-stocked Spar, in Bonar Bridge. It was the best I could do without involving tinned goods or anything bulky or heavy. It was like a really downmarket version of ready steady cook.

My Mum and I had the worst ever cup of coffee in a cafe in Bonar Bridge. It was attached to a pottery I think, and the cafe smelt of dishclothes. The coffee tasted of it too. Like Mellow Birds, made very weak....

The moral seems to be, avoid Bonar Bridge.

There's nothing wrong with pasta and soup sometimes - sometimes you want something very quick and simple, when you're too tired to even think. You probably don't want it day after day, but every so often, why not just slob out?

Arch said:
My Mum and I had the worst ever cup of coffee in a cafe in Bonar Bridge. It was attached to a pottery I think, and the cafe smelt of dishclothes. The coffee tasted of it too. Like Mellow Birds, made very weak....

The moral seems to be, avoid Bonar Bridge.

I know which cafe you mean as I was in there just before my fated visit into the Spar opposite. The coffee has definitely improved - it comes in cafetieres now. They even do proper decaff too. My main gripe was that they don't to baked spuds and I had to make do with a toastie.

Bonar Bridge isn't all bad. There's a hotel just up the road which is great - quite basic, but the couple who run it are lovely! We had a good laugh with them when we stayed there last year. And just by the bridge itself there's a little park which has an entire history of the local geology, with examples, so you can learn about it. I like things like that.

hubbike

Another recipe (I told you I wouldn't let this thread die!!!)

Bikers need refuelling on the road but buying tons of biscuits and chocolates can be pricey (and they are full of weird stuff) so instead make these fried oat biscuits (they'd be better done in an oven but whatever...) you can do it while making porridge for breakfast each day and if you get hungry before lunch...tuck in!!

Oatcakes

Ingredients
oats
water
sugar
oil or butter

Optional extras
pinch of salt
flour
milk
egg
leftovers. mashed potato or sweet potato, mashed carrots etc
dried or fresh fruit (banana, raisons, apple)
nuts
coffee, cocoa, honey

1. soak oats in water and add sugar.
2. add other ingredients as you wish
3. take a spoonful and add it to a pan of hot oil, push down into a biscuit shape and fry both sides.
4. store in a container in your handlebar bag for when you get peckish.

another more expensive option that doesn't require cooking is to mix equal parts nutella and peanut butter together and then add oats till you have a solid bars.

TwoInTow

Some successes for us (all based on passing through a town in the afternoon and stocking up on fresh stuff):

1. Best all-purpose ingredients were olive oil and kecap manis. Kecap manis tastes like honey and soy sauce mixed together and is not the easiest to find, so honey/soy is a good but slightly less convenient substitute. You could have noodles or rice just flavoured with this and it's pretty good. And if you buy a pre-cut stirfry veggie pack and add some diced chicken, then just throw into the pan and serve on top of instant rice or noodles. Best way to get veggies done at the end of the day.

2. A useful discovery when you don't want to cook at all: M&S do a small sized pizza which exactly fits into the largest bowl of my Trangia 27. So put a decent gloop of oil in the bottom, throw in the pizza, put the lid on and put the simmer ring onto about 1/3 open. It becomes a good little oven and does the pizza really nicely. No cooking to do at all! Using it as an oven like this also works well for reheating things like pancakes for breakfast etc.

3. Creme fraiche is our friend. Instant sauce for most things. For example, cook pasta, then sliced mushrooms and bacon/chicken/onions (any or all). Stir through creme fraiche and then eat. Also works well with fish, eg salmon or tuna.

4. This probably doesn't belong on a recipes thread but my best no-cook option was frankfurters and rolls. Just heat the frankfurters in hot water for a few minutes and serve. Taking tomato sauce sachets from cafes/fast food outlets is perfect.

Top Bottom