Reckon this needs replacing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
15965388172928135723619395676289.jpg
Rear cone. Non drive side.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Certainly.

byegad

Legendary Member
NAH!Good for another 30yrs use. Of course it 'could' fail and you'd face plant into the road in front off a juggernaut driven by a U-tube viewing foreign guy who has just come none-stop from Italy. But think of the cash you'll have saved!😜

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is that from a shimano cup and cone hub?
If so, what state's the cup in?
the cups don't tend to wear as much as they rotate whilst the cone is stationary

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I tend to keep the dust cover part and throw away the cone part. The metal dust cover part is good for spares. It sometimes seems like it is stuck/welded to the cone but I find a tap with a hammer will loosen it.

Problem often comes when trying to get matching cone though doesn't it?
I usually resort to buying a new hub for the spares.
best to keep hubs well checked/maintained.

you're ahead of me I think OP. Took me two decades I think to dare going anywhere near a hub.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
So... I have replaced the cone and bearings and greased everything up. But can I get the fecker adjusted correctly? No I cannot. I screw down the non drive side cone and lock it off, leaving just a little bit of play to be taken out by the QR, but if anything the play gets worse when I refit the wheel and lock off the QR. Beginning to think something is bent somewhere. Anyone else had this happen. Do I just need to face facts and give up on the Btwin wheels?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So... I have replaced the cone and bearings and greased everything up. But can I get the fecker adjusted correctly? No I cannot. I screw down the non drive side cone and lock it off, leaving just a little bit of play to be taken out by the QR, but if anything the play gets worse when I refit the wheel and lock off the QR. Beginning to think something is bent somewhere. Anyone else had this happen. Do I just need to face facts and give up on the Btwin wheels?
Perseverance dear boy. :rolleyes:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I find using a vice to adjust the lock/cone nuts helps (I have a mini vice which I clamp to a picnic table). This allows one to make small adjustment to the cone (e.g. 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn) before tightening the lock nut against it. It also stops the axle turning while doing it since the other side of it is clamped in the vice.

There is a bikeman4u video showing how to do this on YouTube. I will attach a link tomorrow.
(links below)

adjusting cup/cone bearings (11:30 onwards)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrixBI-04ao&t=409s

Axle vice:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwNZQPNf-4

Last edited:
Top Bottom