Reckon this needs replacing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find using a vice to adjust the lock/cone nuts helps (I have a mini vice which I clamp to a picnic table). This allows one to make small adjustment to the cone (e.g. 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn) before tightening the lock nut against it. It also stops the axle turning while doing it since the other side of it is clamped in the vice.

There is a bikeman4u video showing how to do this on YouTube. I will attach a link
I look forward to your link.
Yes, i find a problem with stopping the other side moving while i am doing the adjusting. Sometimes i use a vice on the kitchen floor. I use a park axle vice thingy within the vice arms to protect the axle threads.
Keep at it OP. It is a bit of a fag of a job, needs lots of small small adjustments, but it is worth it. Your hubs will then last and last.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
I had no idea they were so finely adjusted. I sort of knew about half and quarter turns but had no idea that a 16th would make a difference, so thanks for that. I'll give it another go later. No vice to work with but I'll manage.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I always have the drive side cones done up super tight, so it's easy to adjust the non-drive side. You leave a tiny amount of play in the bearing before doing up the QR in the frame. If you've still got play, then adjust a fraction. Even 1/16th of a turn can be a little too much. Once you 'get it' they are easy to service.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I look forward to your link.
Yes, i find a problem with stopping the other side moving while i am doing the adjusting. Sometimes i use a vice on the kitchen floor. I use a park axle vice thingy within the vice arms to protect the axle threads.
Keep at it OP. It is a bit of a fag of a job, needs lots of small small adjustments, but it is worth it. Your hubs will then last and last.

Video attached.

see: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/reckon-this-needs-replacing.265331/#post-6099423

ChrisEyles

Guru
It's a bit lazy, but if the adjustment is really close I sometimes simply adjust the tightness of the QR skewer - increasing the force applied this way can take the last tiny smidge of play out of the bearings. Obviously you don't want it too loose or ridiculously tight, but can be a quick way to fine tune things.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
I find using a vice to adjust the lock/cone nuts helps (I have a mini vice which I clamp to a picnic table). This allows one to make small adjustment to the cone (e.g. 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn) before tightening the lock nut against it. It also stops the axle turning while doing it since the other side of it is clamped in the vice.

There is a bikeman4u video showing how to do this on YouTube. I will attach a link tomorrow.
(links below)

adjusting cup/cone bearings (11:30 onwards)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrixBI-04ao&t=409s

Axle vice:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwNZQPNf-4

Thanks for this. I like this guy's delivery. I've had another go last night and now a lot happier with it. Can't quite find that sweet spot where the valve rolls smoothly round to the bottom (but that may just be the overall quality of the hubs?)

Top Bottom