Recommend a 24" MTB tyre for the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

I'm trying to choose a suitable road going tyre for my lads trek mtb, currently has the standard 24x2.1 knobblies.

About the best I can come up with are Tioga Power Block tyres in either 24x1.75 or 24x2.10
BCIR08;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

I've also looked at the Schwalbe Silento 24x1.75 but not sure if it's 'slick' enough.
TYS29;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

Any ideas??

Chris

I've always liked Tioga tyres, been hard to spot in the bike shops in recent years.

That 1.75 Power Block looks a very nice tyre. The 2.1 will be way too fat for road and the Schwalbe has too much edge.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That 1.75 Power Block looks a very nice tyre. The 2.1 will be way too fat for road and the Schwalbe has too much edge.

As a fat slick tyre user (fat tyres, not a fat user!) I don't agree. 2.1 slicks are great on an MTB if you like to do some rough stuff like hopping up and down kerbs and hammering down flights of steps (I am still a big kid in this respect). Knowing what kids are like and what I was like as a kid (can't remember how many wheels I buckled...."But I was just riding it dad, I don't know how it happened!!!") I think the 2.1 Tioga would be a good choice, the bike will 'look' right and retain it's MTB 'shrug it all off' toughness that kids need. He won't thank you for putting him on skinny, fragile roady wheels when he prangs one while ramping off a plank of wood balanced on 2 house bricks :whistle:

PpPete

Legendary Member
My youngest still has one bike with 24" wheels... it's his "road" bike, built up from a frame rescued from a skip and components from my "box of bits"

The Schwalbe Marathons (about the only "new" bit apart from the chain) look the part and seem tough enough for all the abuse kids bikes can suffer. I'd check the width, but he's taken it to school today for "Bikeability"

Top Bottom