Recommend a 7 inch Android tab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I would like to have a tablet that has the functionality of a phone, a good camera as the screen is a decent size. I have searched but not sure what I'm looking at. Not because I'm an idiot just want the simple thing of going to phone/computer shop saying I want pay as you go phone tablet type without the sales pitch. I don't care what it can do I just want to make the odd call, take photos, check email, look at CC and the odd text not bothered what else it does.

Alex321

Veteran
don't understand your point on android cyclops - I had the idea that it was just an operating system and that the only difference between a tab and a phone was the lack of cellular connectivity?
In case you are tempted, I have no interest in iOS :smile:
I think you are pretty well right.

I have both a phone and a tablet (both Samsung) running Android, and I haven't come across much that has issues on the tablet. A few apps that only run in portrait mode - which is a bit of an issue with the case I have, but not much of one.

The tablet I have doesn't meet your requirements, being 10.1 inch.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
agh!

The Lenovo M8 as recommended by @400ixl above, and which I had been looking at, doesn't appear to have a memory card slot- only discovered that from reading a review - no way would i have expected that in a supposedly improved model. Bloody madness.

Suppose since it does have 32GB onboard storage I may just be able to get away with it, since my current one has 16GB and the slot only has a 16GB card in at the moment (though will take far bigger of course).

But one with a card would be preferable even if only 16GB is onboard.

Damn folks' demand for speed and flashiness.

Tech is converging with cycling!

Can see myself crawling the tech aisles of kiddie shops.

Drago

Legendary Member
I use a Galaxy Active Tab2. Slightly bigger, I think 8 inches, butnin its favour...

Shockproof, and comes with a rubber bumper case.

Waterproof.

And comes with a stylus.

Also takes a 4G sim so works out and about, and can even make calls and send texts on it, not that I do either.

For people like me that dont have a smartphone, and who are thus more inclined to carry the tablet on the bicycle, in the car, or when exploring, its a robust, moderately compact option. Think of it as a Galaxy Note for people that don't do things by halves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I use a Galaxy Active Tab2. Slightly bigger, I think 8 inches, butnin its favour...

Waterproof.

And comes with a stylus.

Also takes a 4G sim so works out and about, and can even make calls and send texts on it, not that I do either.

For people like me that dont have a smartphone, and who are thus more inclined to carry the tablet on the bicycle, in the car, or when exploring, its a robust, moderately compact option.
will check out drago - thanks - may be back with questions - I do have a smartphone but it is very limited - barely use it - prefer to use the tab and chromebook and between times offline - folks can always text or call me on the dumphone.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist

Waterproof.

And comes with a stylus.

For people like me that dont have a smartphone, and who are thus more inclined to carry the tablet on the bicycle, in the car, or when exploring, its a robust, moderately compact option. Think of it as a Galaxy Note for people that don't do things by halves.
Drago you star! Sounds like what I want. Maybe make one phone call a month and the odd text. Is the camera any good as that is important for me.

Drago

Legendary Member
Drago you star! Sounds like what I want. Maybe make one phone call a month and the odd text. Is the camera any good as that is important for me.
Hey, I ain't just a pretty face.

The camera is ok, and does have a flash. A modern smartphone camera would be better, but its perfectly useable.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Is it worth replaceing the battery. It doesnt look too hard and local companies can do it. Timpson, the shoe/lock people offer this service.
I didn't know they did that - may possibly be interested if a known UK company - I hate the idea of chucking stuff because of built-in batteries. I know there all sorts of tutorials on the web about replacing batteries but am always worried about fire/safety risks of independently sourced batteries. Will think about/explore so thanks, but there is the issue of the current one's ageing version of Android (6) and am sure that it won't be updated again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom