Recommend a 7 inch Android tab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I would like to have a tablet that has the functionality of a phone, a good camera as the screen is a decent size. I have searched but not sure what I'm looking at. Not because I'm an idiot just want the simple thing of going to phone/computer shop saying I want pay as you go phone tablet type without the sales pitch. I don't care what it can do I just want to make the odd call, take photos, check email, look at CC and the odd text not bothered what else it does.
This?

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-MediaTek-processor-Storage-Android/dp/B082KL4NX3?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

since it will take a mobile SIM I assume it could be used as a phone in extremis - albeit a somewhat big one.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
since it will take a mobile SIM I assume it could be used as a phone in extremis - albeit a somewhat big one.

Not necessarily. I have an earlier Lenovo tablet that takes a SIM, but I can't see any way of using it as a phone.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I'd recommend getting another Lenovo - they hit the sweet spot of cost, spec and usability.
a good argument I think - I see these things as consumables because of the built-in declining batteries - I see little point for most applications in paying a lot more for some supposedly premium product. The reviews always amuse me where the reviewers spend ages wittering on about small differences in the look and feel - they should be road-testing sex aids.

yello

That Lenovo looks of interest to me too.

I've been using a Nexus 7 for years (10 of them?? can it really be that long!?) because I've always been happy with it and not able to find anything that looks worth changing it for. I've replaced both the screen and the battery on it in the past. It's stuck on Android 7 (though my ROM does get the latest security patches applied) and so there are a few apps that won't run but it does me. There will come a time though....

I too think the 7 market is a little neglected. I think it an ideal size. I read mention of the Fire, and I have considered it, but it's not ideal IMHO.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I see these things as consumables because of the built-in declining batteries...
I thought the same when I bought my original 8.9" Samsung Galaxy Tab but that is still going strong. I bought it just before I had my DVT so that would be summer 2012.

I bought a new Samsung tablet a while back because the old one can't be upgraded to run some modern apps, and is too slow to run many others properly.

I agree about the size of tablets though. The new one is better in every respect except that it is too bulky compared to the sleek old one. It feels a bit heavy to lug about.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I too think the 7 market is a little neglected. I think it an ideal size.
Agree totally - I don't really want an 8 inch one but looks like will be forced to go that way.
You seem to be doing better with your tab battery than me in years but that may well be just because I have given mine such extensive use - lots of recharging cycles. It's now got to the point where it loses a fair amount of charge when in sleep mode - (it used to pretty much retain its charge I think when in sleep) which is going to make it a bit impractical for travelling/cycle touring etc etc.

400ixl

Try a factory reset and then only re-install the apps you actually use. This may reduce the drain.

As for charging, when you are just using it generally, don't charge it over 80%, then let it run to around 20% and then charge it back to 80%. Only fully charge it at the times where you need to really have that extra charge as you won't be able to charge it easily. This will help extend the life of the battery.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Try a factory reset and then only re-install the apps you actually use. This may reduce the drain.

As for charging, when you are just using it generally, don't charge it over 80%, then let it run to around 20% and then charge it back to 80%. Only fully charge it at the times where you need to really have that extra charge as you won't be able to charge it easily. This will help extend the life of the battery.
I will have a tinker but i think the drain is mainly a result of the very intense use I have given the thing - I long ago started using the 7 inch as my main tab, didn't bother with the 10 inch much.
Does the charging to 80 per cent really extend the battery life that much? Is part of this extension maybe due to the fact that you are going through less full charging cycles?
Also I thought modern battery run stuff had some sort of built-in protection against over-charging?
Not true/
That said I have abandoned my old practice of letting the tab charge for an extra half hour or so after I had noticed that the green light had come on. I did see that if I ever stopped charging as soon as the light went green, the tab only had a charge of about 90 per cent. The green light is a sign to stop charging so I suppose Lenovo were trying to stop you going to 100 per cent. I also avoid charging overnight these days - just pop on charge if I ever wake about 3 so that it doesn't get too much juice.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Two questions related to the LTE unit I linked to above:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-MediaTek-processor-Storage-Android/dp/B082KL4NX3?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Apparently it is supplied as Android 9, which I know isn't the latest.

@ I seem to recall hearing of certain issues to do with this. Anyone use it/can report back?

@ Is there any reliable way of finding out what version of Android any given device might update to before you are effectively told "that's your lot"?

I know that for chromebooks there is an authoritative site which will give you this important info - though that's expressed as a time-cut off for updates which you get regularly.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have a lenovo 7" tab, wife has a Lenovo 10" tab, I have a Lenovo laptop, if I could buy a Lenovo fridge, cooker, microwave, coffee machine, sou maker and kettle I would!
Inexpensive, top quality and reliable.
the lenovo 7 inch is discontinued I assume?
god knows why it became rare as a size.
Mobiles have got bigger (but not as big as 7 inch?) , tabs have got bigger, 7 inch seems to have fallen into a ditch - I find it ideal - I use a cheap stylus for anything fiddly that needs something more pointy than my fingers.

carpiste

Guru
Yes it`s an old one and still runs well, used daily, battery still lasts an age :okay: and yes MrsC has the 10" one because there was no 7" available. She couls have gone for the *" but said it was too big for the camera. So she went for the 10" and she will buy a new digital camera for her photos.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes it`s an old one and still runs well, used daily, battery still lasts an age :okay: and yes MrsC has the 10" one because there was no 7" available. She couls have gone for the *" but said it was too big for the camera. So she went for the 10" and she will buy a new digital camera for her photos.
re my question upthread, can i ask what android version that 7 inch one of yours is running - android 9 by any chance?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Answering my own question upthread about android roll-out schedules for various models, I found this for Lenovo:

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht501098-android-upgrade-matrix#tablet

sellers are often complete sods for not giving the full model name/number for what they are flogging (there are often loads of variants) but that does make it look as if most if not all M8 tabs will in time get an upgrade to Android 10 - though there is a caveat about territories, which the LTE version may possibly slip through.

Top Bottom