Recommend a decent chain lube???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anti-fling chain saw oil, about 4 quid for a litre.
Yup, I've been using THIS for ages now and can't imagine ever going back to 'bike specific' lubes.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Is there anything to a bike oil that differs from any other type of oil?

For example, could you use gearbox oil or chainsaw oil to do the same job? Or is bike oil more water resistant?

MrC

I bought some progold with a special pipette applicator when i popped into Biketreks in Ambleside when I was up on the lakes.
It's a thin oil, but with the applicator you could get inbetween the plates. Made the chain quiet and isn't too sticky.
As. I've only been using it a couple of weeks I can't say much about longevity but was a lot easier to apply then the wet and dry lubes I've used before

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another vote for chainsaw oil here. I've been using it for a little over a year now and have got on really well with it. Cheap, capillaries well into the chain where you need the lubrication and doesn't attract too much dirt.

I paid about £4 for a litre and expect that to last a few years.

Crankarm

Guru
I need to get some more lube as the 6 bottles of Finish Line Pro Ceramic I bought very cheaply about 5-6 years ago are now all finished (no pun intended). I have some Finish Line Wet lube that I have never used as a few people complained of it being a dirt magnet.

I am intrigued by chain saw oil. If those that use it could give a little more info on the stuff and what sort of riding they do, distance and if in all weathers, how it fairs then I might be tempted to use it. I don't want to buy chain saw oil and then only use it once as I found it crap as I don't have a chainsaw to use it on as a plan B. The Cambridgeshire Chain Saw Massacre.

OP
OP
C

chris1980

For 4 quid a litre it's definitly worth a try :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I am intrigued by chain saw oil. If those that use it could give a little more info on the stuff and what sort of riding they do, distance and if in all weathers, how it fairs then I might be tempted to use it. I don't want to buy chain saw oil and then only use it once as I found it crap as I don't have a chainsaw to use it on as a plan B. The Cambridgeshire Chain Saw Massacre.
I shall try to elaborate: My rides are leisure trips on country lanes and occasional off road (which are extremely wet and muddy at this time of year) and I'm typically doing between 18 and 50 miles a trip. I try to avoid riding in the rain if I can (wasn't easy last year) but even with mudguards the chain picks up grit and spray.

Personally I tend to clean and relube the chain every 4 or 5 rides in summer and 2 or 3 rides in winter (more often in snow). I could get away with leaving it longer really.

The oil is designed to resist being flung off yet still capillaries well into the innards when applied. It has to be used sparingly though as the anti-fling ingredients make it go into strings if you put too much on, which will make a mess. If you use Mickle's method and make sure the excess is thoroughly wiped off it works well.

In use, expect it to blacken up a bit, but nowhere near as bad as a typical wet lube. The good bit is that I find the chain runs quieter than with any other lube I have tried so far.

Sorry to go on a bit - I hope that is of use.:thumbsup:

Crankarm

Guru
I shall try to elaborate: My rides are leisure trips on country lanes and occasional off road (which are extremely wet and muddy at this time of year) and I'm typically doing between 18 and 50 miles a trip. I try to avoid riding in the rain if I can (wasn't easy last year) but even with mudguards the chain picks up grit and spray.

Personally I tend to clean and relube the chain every 4 or 5 miles in summer and 2 or 3 rides in winter (more often in snow). I could get away with leaving it longer really.

The oil is designed to resist being flung off yet still capillaries well into the innards when applied. It has to be used sparingly though as the anti-fling ingredients make it go into strings if you put too much on, which will make a mess. If you use Mickle's method and make sure the excess is thoroughly wiped off it works well.

In use, expect it to blacken up a bit, but nowhere near as bad as a typical wet lube. The good bit is that I find the chain runs quieter than with any other lube I have tried so far.

Sorry to go on a bit - I hope that is of use.:thumbsup:

Very helpful. Thanks. My riding is commuting daily, 35-40 miles, all weather. I couldn't be cleaning and re-lubing every 4 or 5 miles or 2 or 3 rides in winter that you say you do. For me most frequently means - weekly (every 200-250 miles, weather dependent) NOT daily or every other day, ideally it would be once a year, but that will sadly never happen however at the moment cleaning and relubing is approx every 3-4 weeks so every 600-800 miles depending on weather of course.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Very helpful. Thanks. My riding is commuting daily, 35-40 miles, all weather. I couldn't be cleaning and re-lubing every 4 or 5 miles or 2 or 3 rides in winter that you say you do. For me most the idea of most frequently is weekly (every 180-200 miles), ideally it would be once a year, but that will sadly never happen however at the moment cleaning and relubing is approx every 3-4 weeks so every 600-800 miles depending on weather of course.
That bit should have said 4 or 5 rides:shy: Around 100 miles or so. Now edited.

This is me being fussy about it though. I have no reason to believe the stuff wouldn't last longer than that before needing relubing.

Crankarm

Guru
That bit should have said 4 or 5 rides:shy: Around 100 miles or so. Now edited.

This is me being fussy about it though. I have no reason to believe the stuff wouldn't last longer than that before needing relubing.

Makes more sense now you edited it. Doesn't seem quite as high maintenance. Thanks.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Is there anything to a bike oil that differs from any other type of oil?

For example, could you use gearbox oil or chainsaw oil to do the same job? Or is bike oil more water resistant?

Different types of oil have different viscosities. The thicker it is the less likely it is to come off the chain, however too thick and it may not penetrate into the chain and just stick on the outside of the chain when the aim of the lube is to lubricate all the parts of the chain.

Robeh

This is the stuff I've been using for the past few months without issues.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muc-Off-MUC967-Muc-Off-125ml/dp/B002C79CMQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Been through snow and heavy rain without it coming off, it drips out nicely too so you don't squirt it everywhere.

71GN6D2z%2BwL._AA1500_.jpg
+1 excellent lube...

Top Bottom