recommend a decent winter top that i can use for running and cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

I have the obligatory altura nevis for my commuting but am after a lightwieght water shower proof one that i could use for weekend cycling and running. Am doing a half marathon and probably a full marathon in the new year so must be suitable for the british winter and breathable etc etc. any suggestions? (or am i just better off buying one just for running rather than try to mix the two?)

thanks andy

Might I suggest a lightweight merino long sleeve top instead. It'll keep you warm even when wet and you won't get the boil in the bag effect that a water/showerproof top will have. There's loads around, but my recommendation would be those made by Ground Effect.

RufusA

Über Member
+1 for the Ground Effect recommendation. Though not sure how the whale tale and inbuilt puncture repair patch will cut it in with the running fraternity.

Sadly with the £ taking such a hammering on the international money markets Ground Effect isn't the bargain it used to be!

I have a short sleved summer median and the long sleeved baked alaska. The short sleeved is great, everything I could want. However be warned it is not pure merino but blended with nylon? so may not be as stink resistant as some (but more comfortable because of it IMHO). If their long sleeved summer is like their short then I can heartily recommend it.

The baked alaska I have mixed feelings. I love the cut and style, but the front is a little too warm and the sleeves a little too cold. It also snags on just about anything.

Rufus.

LondonCommuter

Merino is good or try a softshell. I love my Howies jacket. I have a discontinued model but they have a similar one (with zip off sleeves so you could have a gilet as well as a jacket) on sale now.

Chris James

Über Member
If you are looking for a windproof that packs to nothing then a Montane Litespeed or Featherlite smock are good choices. Both are made from a very lighweight pertex and are highly breathable althoguh only showerproof.

Go Outdoors recently had the Litespeed for £25 and this is a great high activity layer.

Blonde

Agree with the merino base layer option. At least you will be able to use that for both sports, although you will need something over the top of it for cycling. Anything heavier or more wind proof in cycling kit will be too warm for running. The problem is that on the bike you need a windproof or at least a thicker/warmer top, because you get so much more air flow than with running, so it's very difficult to get one top (outer layer) that works well for both sports.

Breathable fabrics tend not to be very water proof, and anything waterproof tends not to breathe very well unless you want to spend A LOT of money, so you're better off going for wind proofing (gilet) in my opinion and just getting a bit wet (but staying warm), or you have to accept you will get sweaty if you use a water proof. I have both a gilet and a water proof for cycling. The gilet gets worn all year when it is very windy, or in light-heavy rain (I just get wet arms). The waterproof only gets used in torerential downpours when I can be sure than it's keeping more water out than the sweat it is keeping in!

Chris James

Über Member
Without wanting to repeat myself :sad: I still think pertex is the way to go, or at least would be a good buy for some of the time.

The following links are either reviews of pertex jackets or people asking similar questions to yours and the advice they were given.

http://www.montane.co.uk/viewarticle.php?aid=95&o=6

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=2184&SP=&V=3

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=241300&v=1#x3545995

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=168165&v=1#x2409682

There are lots of pertex tops available although I think Montane ones are very good and the Litespeed is a steal at £25.

I wear mine for mountaineering, climbing and as a summer waterproof on the bike (I also have a winter weight bike waterproof and a gilet though). I don’t do any running but a mate of mine who does uses a Rab pertex jacket of a similar design.

515mm

I have a Montane Velo pertex cycling jacket and it works well at keeping the wind out without making me boil, but it obvious it's been made by a mountain clothing company and not a cycle clothing one.

The arms are the correct length for the bike, as is the length ofthe tail, but the belly area is rather baggy and the arms are way too baggy. The whole thing inflates in the wind quite alarmingly. I tried wearing a 200weight fleece jacket underneath - and lo and behold! it's a perfect fit - absolutely ideal for cycling in sub-zero temperatures! For it's intended use it's been cut incorrectly. I'm no racing snake either BTW, I bought a medium(40"!) size as the small was just a bit too small for my 42" chest.

In it's defence, is does keep the wind out, keeps light rain out for about half an hour and does pack down to the size of a tennis ball. In it's mesh bag it lives on the bike, forgotten, until it's cold or raining when it makes a triumphant appearance. Just ask Lardyboy!

My search for the perfect lightweight windproof continues....

LondonCommuter

I decided against Gore pac lite because I was advised that although its lighter & more packable (and hence good for walking etc.) its not as breathable. I certainly need breathable for cycling. Even Goretex XCR (which I went for) is only really OK for cycling say below 10 deg C (or perhaps slightly colder) because otherwise I think its preferable to get wet rather than sweaty. Obviously depends on what you're doing. I only commute and might have a different strategy on a tour (especially if I was camping).

Top Bottom