Recommend a garmin type gizmo for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
At that price, I'd be interested in a Beeline too, but can you plug it into a computer and copy your route file into a folder on the Beeline, like you can on a Garmin.

I don't really want to get forced into using a phone app as the only option to copy routes.

Mike_P

Guru
At that price, I'd be interested in a Beeline too, but can you plug it into a computer and copy your route file into a folder on the Beeline, like you can on a Garmin.

I don't really want to get forced into using a phone app as the only option to copy routes.

They say you can import gpx files

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-cycling
This reviewer used it in association with their Garmin
https://road.cc/content/review/beeline-velo-2-cycling-computer-295869

GuyBoden

Guru
I've got used to having a map displayed on my Garmin, I'm undecided. :headshake:

Beeline Velo2

beeline-velo2_2.0-2.jpg

Garmin Edge 800
cf-lg.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
It's the lack of a map thats putting me off. Otherwise a bit like the road.cc reviewer I would be tempted to combine one with my trusty Bolt v1 using the Velo for directions so a red on the Bolt would definitely be a fast approaching alert from the Varia.

grldtnr

I've got used to having a map displayed on my Garmin, I'm undecided. :headshake:

Beeline Velo2

View attachment 698283
Garmin Edge 800
View attachment 698284

Depends on what your used to ,I suppose? I tend to study my maps, then notate ,write down on a piece of card, and clip to the bike, I do the same with my moto Scoot as well.
The Beeline is just a bit more refined, adding in distances, my 'shorthand' notation, is basically the same system, arrows and circles for roundabouts with the town direction and riad number, if there is one.
I'd be familiar with the Beeline, I do use a TomTom in the car, to be honest I loathe them, I 've been roaming the Eastern counties long enough to have a rough idea where I am going.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well, the Roam arrived last night and I stuck it on my commuter for a test this morning.

First impressions:
1. Smaller than I expected. Very pleased I went for the Roam rather than the smaller Bolt.
2. Easy to set up, only glitch is that there's no charging indicator (unless I've accidentally turned it off) so I thought it wasn't charging then got spooked by googling the issue and finding scare stories about needing special cables etc. But seems to be fine with any USB C in the end.
3. Good customisation - tolerates my desire for height in metres, speed in mph.
4. Directions seem OK, a couple of occasions where a turn is on a bend it tells me to turn right when actually the road is following to the right or similar.
5. Map isn't up to date, missing a new local road opened a few months ago.
6. Button rather than touchscreen functionality seems to work pretty intuitively and with gloves on (cold here at the moment)
7. I put the stem fixing on the tandem and I'm not sure how well that will go; the stem is at a steep angle and I'm not sure it will be very readable. Might have to work out something else. I think it might actually be OK inside the barbag map carrier.
8. Very easy to upload GPS route from cycle.travel
9. Turn by turn directions seems OK, maybe just lags behind a couple of seconds which might be confusing in a city setting?
10. Albania map has failed download (yes, we may actually be in Albania next year. This is one of the reasons for moving from printed maps!). Hopefully will be able to sort that.
11. The LEDs round the edge seem a bit pointless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Is there another way?

Apparently some weirdos like their units to be consistent! Km and metres is supposedly a popular combo in continental Europe, and it is rumoured the yanks get speed correctly in mph but do elevation in feet [shudders].

Alex321

Veteran
5. - You can update the maps from the app
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc...-How-do-I-Update-Maps-on-an-ELEMNT-BOLT-ROAM-

9. - Yes, I find it tends to lag just a little bit, so you can think the turn is a few yards beyond where it really is.

11. - The LEDs can have varying functionality, and can be useful in some cases, depending on what you want from the device. For me, they normally show which heart rate band I am in, if you are on a starred Strava segment, they will show whether you are ahead or behind your target time (but that is not significant for most people, not even often for me). If you have a Varia rear light/radar, they will show approaching vehicles. If you are using the navigation function, they pulse in the direction you are supposed to turn, as you reach the turn (but sometimes a second or two late as noted above).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

5. - You can update the maps from the app
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc...-How-do-I-Update-Maps-on-an-ELEMNT-BOLT-ROAM-

9. - Yes, I find it tends to lag just a little bit, so you can think the turn is a few yards beyond where it really is.

11. - The LEDs can have varying functionality, and can be useful in some cases, depending on what you want from the device. For me, they normally show which heart rate band I am in, if you are on a starred Strava segment, they will show whether you are ahead or behind your target time (but that is not significant for most people, not even often for me(). If you have a Varia rear light/radar, they will show approaching. If you are using the bnavigation function, theye p[ulse in the direction you are supposed to turn, as you reach the turn (but sometimes a second or two late as noted above). vehicles.

Thanks. I did checked the map file which claims to be up to date, but nevertheless the road isn't on it.

bobzmyunkle

Unfortunately, Strava thinks so. You can only have Miles/feet or Kilometres/metres. You can't do as both I and RoubaixTuesday prefer, and have it show miles/Metres.
I know - tongue in cheek. When I used to run a lot, I tried to get my head into thinking of distance in Km. It makes sense, OS map squares are 1KM. Then I get in my car or on the bike - road signs etc in miles. The same conflict never occurred for elevation.

Mike_P

Guru
Putting the map display on in built up areas / number of road junction locations helps. Garmin's equally suffer. Should have had the map on and would have realised it was a left then an immediate right. The right turn notification only appeared as I passed the turning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom