Recommend A GPS Computer For A Simpleton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

Rather than transferring the wireless Cateye unit and magnet from bike-to-bike, I thought sod it and lets get a GPS based unit.

I'm not the sort of person who needs a £200 fancy unit but, rather the opposite, a basic bike computer, that can tell me my speed/distance but do it via GPS with a clean/uncluttered display. When I popped into Evans, they only had Garmin/Lezyne/Wahoo which are all way ahead of what I need and also want to spend. A quick gumtree search for something 2nd hand was unsuccessful. So Amazon, has a few options from brands that I have never heard of, Meilan, Bryton starting from £32/48. Whilst reviews look positive on them, they are low in volume.

Anyone on here got either a Meilan/Bryton or, anything similar to recommend within a price bracket around £40-£80

Never heard of Meilan but Bryton is a respected brand.

Second hand units are not usually hard to come by, just stick a wanted ad on HERE for something like a Garmin Edge 200 or similar, I'm sure someone will have one lying around.

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Slick - I don't do ebay but, that that 200 on the link, may be OK. If its still there next week I'll ask a colleague to bid on it for me.

Slick

Guru
Slick - I don't do ebay but, that that 200 on the link, may be OK. If its still there next week I'll ask a colleague to bid on it for me.
It's not for everyone, but it shows what you can pick up if you know where to look. :okay:

Gunk

Guru
You could just use an app like Cycle Comp Pro (less than a fiver) and use your iPhone.

0191-EF6-F-518-F-45-F0-80-F5-9-D68-AA696-D0-C.jpg

Only problem is that it’s not weatherproof

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

I did see the Sigma when looking but for some reason, I struck it off the list, must have been after reading some reviews (albeit on a different model, think it was around £60/70). I think I read a few comments possibly in relation to poor product support from the manufacturer.

A cycling colleague has tracked down a supposedly unused Garmin 25 local to him for £50 which he is collecting for me next week so I'll see how I get on with that.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

You could just use an app like Cycle Comp Pro (less than a fiver) and use your iPhone.

View attachment 498155

Only problem is that it’s not weatherproof

That's a perfectly fine option but, personally I'm not comfortable having my phone mounted on the bike. Never even mounted on the motorcycle. The phone is pretty much my life, I do a lot of work related emails from it etc so don't want to risk destruction/loss incase something happens or an unpleasant member of society decides to mug me for it whilst I'm stationary.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Never thought of that, old phone, wish I had thought of that before.......

I'll not go back on my word to my colleague so will get the Garmin as he's put a deposit on it on my behalf.

Top Bottom