Recommend a more puncture resistant road tyre for winter use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Currently running Durano race guards all round on both bikes.

I set off yesterday at 16.05 and got a rear puncture at 4 miles while on the canal path.

It was starting to get dark but with just enough time to swap a tube. Nothing found in the inside of the tyre. Continued for a further 14 miles after the replacement tube.

At 18 miles I got another rear rear puncture. As I was now on the return leg and less than 1 mile from home I pushed it back-10 minutes.

Today I found a tiny piece of glass embedded in the tyre. The jury is undecided on whether the same piece of glass caused both punctures or not?

Now thinking of trying a more resistant tyre on the rear to see how I get on with the extra rolling resistance & weight. It is my winter bike, so any tube swaps due to punctures are likely to be done in the cold/dark.

In winter I invariably return from a ride in the dark where small debris is harder to see even with a bright Lezyne in unlit areas.
20181111_145347.jpg

I don't mind roadside repairs so much in the lighter milder months. (That piece of glass is very small-the coin is a 1p).

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Durano Plus

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Continental 4 seasons are my go-to winter tyre. Gatorskins are more puncture resistant, but less grippy. For a more 'commuter' tyre Specialized Armadillo are fairly bombproof, or legendary Marathon Plus - although the weight and speed penalty is considerable. Canal path sounds like a puncture-fest zone.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not a tyre opinion but just a hint on puncture repair. I always leave the tyre insitu on the rim and re-inflate the punctured tube to find out where the puncture was and then inspect that area of the tyre very closely to find the cause, or the hole left by a now departed visitor. This is not a guarantee but it increases the chances of finding anything that might cause a repeat puncture as you can target the search and then examine the inside and outside in the suspect area much more thoroughly.

Slioch

Guru
I use Vittoria Rubino Pro on my winter roadbike, but if you're doing a lot of towpath type surfaces then something a bit chunkier may be better, like a Marathon plus.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Gatorskins.

Run them year round on both road bikes, never had any issues with grip despite the rumours. In fact they're definitely grippier in the wet than the Rubino Pros they replaced on one bike.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Conti 4 seasons were a puncture magnet on my bike. Swapped to Michelin pro 4 endurance and not had a puncture in the past year.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Very likely both punctures by the same sharp if you didn't find it the first time. I'd not worry unless the tyre's thin.

That said, I've regular Marathon (not plus) on the back of my road bike just now because I didn't wait to get a durano. It's OK but it feels slower.

Conti 4 seasons were a puncture magnet on my bike. Swapped to Michelin pro 4 endurance and not had a puncture in the past year.
I found that the 4seasons were p'ture proof until around 3,500 miles then they'd suddenly go (de-laminate if that's the correct term). A couple of years later I started using Mitchelin Krylion Carbons (fore runners) and now the Pro 4 Endurance and I agree they are 10x better.

Top Bottom