Recommend a more puncture resistant road tyre for winter use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I ride canal paths a lot, and I use Gatorskins in the summer and Marathon Originals in the winter. I use the Marathons because Gatorskins slide all over the place when the surface is a bit wet and muddy.

I've had only one puncture this year, in the summer, but it was a big one - a big chunk of glass along the canal that destroyed a (nearly new) Gatorskin.

Kajjal

Guru
Conti Gatorskins & Specialized Armadillo for me, both really robust tyres.

This is the kind of tyre I would suggest, they are less flexible when riding but a lot harder to puncture.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I found that the 4seasons were p'ture proof until around 3,500 miles then they'd suddenly go (de-laminate if that's the correct term). A couple of years later I started using Mitchelin Krylion Carbons (fore runners) and now the Pro 4 Endurance and I agree they are 10x better.
I've just checked my cycling log and I did less than 600 miles on the GP 4S's and in that time had 6 punctures! In the end I got a tear in the side wall and that's when I thought enough is enough!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Durano Plus were the only road tyre that survived the glass strewn Fallowfield Loop I used to commute on. All other tyres punctured loads. The duranos were badly cut, but suffered 1 puncture in 2 sets of tyres.

pawl

Legendary Member
Michelins for me.Over several years I have had various types from the Michelin range and have steadily upgraded

Currently using the Michelin Endurance Power .One negative there swines to fit.Bought a tyre key advertised as makings fitting tight tyres .Tried it out and it does help fitting the last few inches without the worry of trapping the inner tube. Can’t see I will be using It much on the road as the current Michelin’s are proving as resilient as there
predessors
Current tyres are 23 c

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Conti Gatorskins & Specialized Armadillo for me, both really robust tyres.
I hate them both. Gatorskins offer little protection against the local arrowhead flints, while Armadillos are heavy, sticky and stiff and my final one delaminated (the external rubber came away from the cloth internal carcass). Schwalbe, Vittoria and Michelin all make far better tyres.

Alan O

Über Member
Just a thought about my Marathon Originals ("Greenguard"). Over the past couple of years I've ridden them on canal towpaths and cycle paths a lot, and not long after putting them back on for the winter I examined them closely and found a huge number of small cuts in the rubber. They're glass cuts for sure, as there's no flint or anything similar anywhere near here, and round here we're plagued by yobs whose tiny minds are entertained by smashing bottles.

The result? No punctures! The Marathons definitely feel more sluggish than my Gatorskins, but for robustness I can't fault them.

Michelins for me.Over several years I have had various types from the Michelin range and have steadily upgraded

Currently using the Michelin Endurance Power .One negative there swines to fit.Bought a tyre key advertised as makings fitting tight tyres .Tried it out and it does help fitting the last few inches without the worry of trapping the inner tube. Can’t see I will be using It much on the road as the current Michelin’s are proving as resilient as there
predessors
Current tyres are 23 c

Tight when fitting is a very valid point for me. I removed the original tyres on my Triban 540 for this very reason. Other than that they were nice tyres.

A fair few opinions here on more robust tyres-thank you :hugs:What I need to establish is which of the ones mentioned are difficult to fit , as Pawl describes? Which are not?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A fair few opinions here on more robust tyres-thank you :hugs:What I need to establish is which of the ones mentioned are difficult to fit , as Pawl describes? Which are not?
Try them.

I think tightness varies immensely by width and what rim they're being put on. I've had no trouble with 37mm Marathons on a 19mm Rigida rim (I forget exactly which), whereas getting 28mm ones onto a 13mm rim was a challenge...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Everyone has a different opinion of which tyre works for them of course.

As a few have mentioned previous. Durano Plus.
What Ian said :okay:, everyone has their own favourites, I used Gatorskins once & never again, 3 punctures & a failed sidewall in about 4 months. I've never had an issue with any Schwalbe tyres, but my current fav for the road bikes are Bontrager AW3 hardcases, reasonable grip, weight & wear rate & minimal deflations :okay:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I hate them both. Gatorskins offer little protection against the local arrowhead flints, while Armadillos are heavy, sticky and stiff and my final one delaminated (the external rubber came away from the cloth internal carcass). Schwalbe, Vittoria and Michelin all make far better tyres.
I’ve had one puncture whilst using Conti Gatorskins and have covered over 10,000 miles (I’m on my second set now), they have great longevity too. I’ve never had a puncture using Specialized Armadillo, these are fitted to another bike which I don’t use as much. Granted they are a bit heavy but they are bullet proof.
Everybody has different opinions and different experiences with different tyres, I wouldn’t recommend them if they hadn’t been good for me.
Personally I wouldn’t use Schwalbe tyres (can’t remember which type I had) but they started to split.

Last edited:
Top Bottom