Recommend a more puncture resistant road tyre for winter use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will Spin

Über Member
My experience with Conti GP 4 season tyres is quite good.....as long as I don't use them in the wet. I can go for miles with no punctures in dry conditions, but as soon as it rains I get a lot of punctures. I'm wondering if there's something about the tread pattern or compound that makes it easier to pick up flint shards in the wet with these tyres. I've now fitted Durano Pluses to see how these fair in wet conditions.

Durano RaceGuards here too ('28' section)

I had to replace the rear at 16months, due to a split side-wall, & a 'flatted' profile
I do sometimes ride through the woods on the way home from work, so it is very feasible that I've caught it on a semi-buried stone/half-brick at some point

One thorn puncture in the front, which was so small I couldn't see it, only feel it

Would I replace them with the same???
Based on mileage/'road-holding'/puncture resistance

I already have:okay::okay:

As @ianrauk says it depends on the rims. I use Mavic Open Pro and have no problems with them. I can get them on without using levers once they are worn in a bit. New ones maybe not.

The one thing I can say without fear of contradiction is that they are a lot easier than Marathon Plus.

Ok. My wheels are Mavic Aksium I use 25x700c tyres. On the rim tape I believe size 18 is printed for the width of rim.

Does this help?

So does anyone know how difficult Durano plus are to fit?

I've got '28' section Durano Double-Defense onto Aksium (disc) rims
To be fair, I've only had the single puncture, on the old (Kevlar bead) tyres, but that was okay (I use the green b'twin levers, so a bit wider)

I recently fitted two new (wire bead) Durano '28' to the CGR, both went on with hands only:okay:
They are a bit fancy, with grey side-walls!

I had to replace them, after sidewall damage, due to semi-buried stones in the Woods
(the front was quite cut-up too, so also replaced)

Last edited:
U

User6179

Ok. My wheels are Mavic Aksium I use 25x700c tyres. On the rim tape I believe size 18 is printed for the width of rim.

Does this help?

It is the depth of the rims that matter, not the width, for instance if you were struggling to fit a tyre and removed the rim tape from a wheel then that would make it easier to fit ( don't do this, the rim tape is there for a reason)

I have a Durano plus on an Aksium and it was fine to fit.

Finally decided on a Michelin Pro 4 endurance.

The centre of the tyre does NOT feel any thicker than the Durano race guard. Let's hope the band material is harder to penetrate.

If I'm not happy with the puncture resistance I will replace it with a gatorskin, and put the Michelin on the summer bike. It's all trial & error.

Managed to put the full tyre on without the need for tyre levers, so that is a plus.

700c x 25 Max pressure is 109 lb

Price: £24.99 from Decathlon Sheffield 19.11.18

20181119_154103.jpg

Attachments

• 20181119_155703.jpg
    20181119_155703.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
What I need to establish is which of the ones mentioned are difficult to fit , as Pawl describes? Which are not?
This is a useful resource for information on the relative ease/difficulty of fitting different types of tyre on a range of rims.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've done a good Fairy-free mileage on canal paths and glass-strewn urban roads with 700 x 35c Schwalbe Delta Cruiser+ fitted to my Pioneer Hybrid, which have Level 5 protection the same as Marathon Greenguards. I've got 700 x 28c Marathon on my old Dawes road bike but haven't done enough mileage to draw any meaningful conclusion. They are Fairy-free so far though. Marathons should wear longer, but if you tend to destroy tyres with glass slashes before ever wearing them out, it's better to destroy a £12 DC+ rather than a £20 Marathon (at typical CRC prices)
I've got some retro-fit Chinese tyre liners from eBay on order that work out at less than £4 per bike and I'll be fitting these inside some ratty old unprotected tyres used on my hack bikes first to assess their effectiveness. If they do repel The Fairy, I'm even toying with the idea of fitting them inside my Schwalbes for additional protection! Did I mention I really don't like getting punctures?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've got some retro-fit Chinese tyre liners from eBay on order that work out at less than £4 per bike and I'll be fitting these inside some ratty old unprotected tyres used on my hack bikes first to assess their effectiveness.
I've been riding through shoot long enough to have used various types of tyre liners decades ago. They work reasonably well, with the tapes being similar to Schwalbe's Raceguard (IIRC) and the harder ones being similar to SmartGuard. The difficulties included getting them to stay in place (the glue on the tape type seems to lose its stick eventually) and - for the harder type - making sure there was neither a gap that would pinch a tube or an overlap that would result in a corner stabbing a tube.

In case you can't tell, I happily gave up on the harder type once I could get SmartGuard type tyres. The disadvantage of the protection not being able to deflect away from the tyre slightly was more than outweighed by not having so much faff every time you removed the tyre.

Top Bottom