Recommend a route in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
Where? I know the leaving (end) point will be a ferry from Dieppe.
How long for? It will be for 5 days in December (between Xmas and NYE).
I have already considered the Avenue Verte and starting in Paris then cycling to Dieppe, I'm just weighing up the cost of Eurostars and taking the bike.
There is a part of me that thinks there might be some nice cycling near Dieppe itself, though .....
All ideas warmly welcomed.
Thanks.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Why do it in winter? Why not wait till spring and hopefully decent weather?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I have stayed in Dieppe once (though without my bike). I like the look of the coast road in both directions. The the East I remember liking the road through Le Treport to the bay of the Somme at Le Crotoy, where the the French seem to go mad for all the seafood restaurants. To the West, the cliff road through Fecamp, Yport and Etretat looks nice for cycling. Further South from there you could cross the spectacular Pont de Normandie to the nice little town of Honfleur .... though you would need to research exactly where you can join the bridge, as it is a motorway bridge with short stretch of cycle lane a bit like the M5 near Avonmouth. I can recommend the Hotel du Cheval Blanc in Honfleur as a good place to stay, and the harbour is surrounded by restaurants. AVOID LE HAVRE, which IMHO is the armpit of northern France.

If you did head West along the coast to Etretat and then over the bridge to Honfleur, you could then follow some quiet lanes along the Seine towards Rouen.... with plenty of chances to cross the river without having to go into the city if you don't want to. Not quite sure where best to head for after that as it depends how far/fast you want to go, but there are some lovely quiet lanes down through the Somme marshes from Amiens towards the coast, where you could complete the circle by following the coast road from Le Crotoy or St Valery through Le Treport back to Dieppe. That's definitely a route I'd like to do one day.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
I have stayed in Dieppe once (though without my bike). I like the look of the coast road in both directions. The the East I remember liking the road through Le Treport to the bay of the Somme at Le Crotoy, where the the French seem to go mad for all the seafood restaurants. To the West, the cliff road through Fecamp, Yport and Etretat looks nice for cycling. Further South from there you could cross the spectacular Pont de Normandie to the nice little town of Honfleur .... though you would need to research exactly where you can join the bridge, as it is a motorway bridge with short stretch of cycle lane a bit like the M5 near Avonmouth. I can recommend the Hotel du Cheval Blanc in Honfleur as a good place to stay, and the harbour is surrounded by restaurants. AVOID LE HAVRE, which IMHO is the armpit of northern France.

If you did head West along the coast to Etretat and then over the bridge to Honfleur, you could then follow some quiet lanes along the Seine towards Rouen.... with plenty of chances to cross the river without having to go into the city if you don't want to. Not quite sure where best to head for after that as it depends how far/fast you want to go, but there are some lovely quiet lanes down through the Somme marshes from Amiens towards the coast, where you could complete the circle by following the coast road from Le Crotoy or St Valery through Le Treport back to Dieppe. That's definitely a route I'd like to do one day.
Thank you. I quite fancy Le Crotoy and will maybe head towards Abbeville and Amiens as well.

Top Bottom