Recommend a Tupperware tub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
4 sided click lid tubs with the blue seal inside (decent thick plastic ones!) happily contain my Phal curries with no issues.

Last one did 10 years, these are nigh on bombproof!.

20170603_214141.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
4 sided click lid tubs with the blue seal inside (decent thick plastic ones!) happily contain my Phal curries with no issues.

Last one did 10 years, these are nigh on bombproof!.

View attachment 355349
Yes those are the things I meant.... they aren't quite bomb proof... I knocked one off a shelf about 7ft high (with a bag of flour in), and it broke the catch off one side when it hit the floor:biggrin:

si_c

Guru
I use one of those 4 sided tub things, but I put it in a tie off sandwich bag. Been using the same box and bag for about a year now.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
sorry... couldn't resist.

^_^

Tom B

Guru
It depends what you are taking, I regularly carry soups, sausage casserole, curry, chilly, spagbol sauce, lobbies, pasta sauces / poverty week specials, rice puddings custard etc.

Generally I am either carrying food for two+ meals or two or more people. Having tried various methods I ended up with tall thin tubs like this.

356325-1a80fefaa83a929963372c35424bb9e8.jpg

I can get around 3 litres in this one without it being over full. That is enough for 3-4 hungry servings of sausage casserole - I take the (frozen) mash or pasta in separate bag. I think it is supposed to be a cornflakes box and has pointless a pouring opening. I have glued these down.

I've never had any leaks either in the panniers or in the backpack, but if I am carrying something particularly runny or offensively smelly I put the box in a swing bin liner or more often one of those begging bags that come through the door. I have also frozen soups and things simply for the avoidance of spillages. I have also carried sandwiches and other non-sloppy stuff in it just to protect the stuff from being squashed.

Here it is inside my 12 ltr pannier with a pair of waterproof pants and a bag of frozen mash.
356332-5760416514cdc10171ed890709ac9b8e.jpg
356333-1039cef8e15338733c2c5004e7770065.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-06-10 13.25.26.jpg
    2017-06-10 13.25.26.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 2017-06-10 13.26.41.jpg
    2017-06-10 13.26.41.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 127
  • 2017-06-10 13.26.46.jpg
    2017-06-10 13.26.46.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

mgarl10024

Über Member
I have to bring milk into work (no free tea facilities - boo!) and am paranoid it's going to spill. If I've forgotten to specifically buy a pint in its original sealed container, I sometimes have to raid the fridge at home and transport it in tupperware. The general procedure is to try to use those containers described above with the sealing lid, and then put it in two carrier bags (extravagance!) but opposite ways (i.e. you put it in one bag, and then put it in the other bag the other way so that the tops don't line up, forming a sort of labyrinthian seal). Not had an issue (yet!), and am particularly wary of speed bumps on those days. :smile:

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
I have to bring milk into work (no free tea facilities - boo!)

Could you not get a milk wo/man to deliver to work? One of the places i work from cured that issue with milk folk. Milk in bottles is very hip and cool these days. (ive just been unhip and uncool for the preceeding 35 years).

How about using a vacuum flask? They generally seal pretty well.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have to bring milk into work (no free tea facilities - boo!) and am paranoid it's going to spill. If I've forgotten to specifically buy a pint in its original sealed container, I sometimes have to raid the fridge at home and transport it in tupperware. The general procedure is to try to use those containers described above with the sealing lid, and then put it in two carrier bags (extravagance!) but opposite ways (i.e. you put it in one bag, and then put it in the other bag the other way so that the tops don't line up, forming a sort of labyrinthian seal). Not had an issue (yet!), and am particularly wary of speed bumps on those days. :smile:
Remove as much air as possible, fold the top of the bag one way(once), then fold back the other way a few times. Hold in place with large(office) paper clips or bulldog clips.

Or...

Buy a roll of the cheap food bags (Tesco value / Sainsbo basics), put the food etc in the bag first, tie a knot at the top, then put the bag *in* a clip top tupperware for transit. Then when it comes to reheating, cut the knot off the bag, pour contents into the tupperware and pop tupperware in the microwave.

Top Bottom